This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.352 / 56°21'7"N
Longitude: -4.3838 / 4°23'1"W
OS Eastings: 252793
OS Northings: 720289
OS Grid: NN527202
Mapcode National: GBR 0T.3R5G
Mapcode Global: WH3LP.MLPV
Entry Name: Stronvar Farm
Listing Date: 5 September 1973
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335417
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4189
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Circa 1828 with later, and possibly some earlier, fabric and 20th century alterations. 2-storey, quadrangular-plan former stable block, with gothick detailing, Tudor-arch entrance (walled up - see Notes), jerkin-headed gables to E elevation, deep bracketed eaves, and detached 2-storey bothy at NW corner. The NW corner is open to admit vehicle access. The building was extended several times in the 19th century and converted to flats in the later 20th century. It is much larger and more imposing than any other stable or agricultural building in the parish, reflecting the wealth and status of the owners of Glenbuckie / Stronvar House, for whom it was built. The architectural treatment is very good, and the gothick detailing would have been very fashionable at the time it was built.
Principal symmetrical 5-bay range to E with central gable containing large Tudor-arched entrance with flanking slit windows on both elevations and small window with pointed-arch hoodmould to gable apex of E (outer) elevation. The outer bays of the E elevation have jerkin-headed gables; two basket-arched vehicle sheds flank the main entrance on the courtyard elevation. The N range is irregularly fenestrated on both elevations and at its W gable has rounded corners, corbelled to square at 1st floor level. The S range is also irregularly fenestrated and has a short gabled wing extending from the centre of the outer elevation. On the courtyard elevation is evidence of another basket arch (now filled in) and at the W end is a pedestrian pend. The W range, which was rebuilt in the mid or late 19th century, has 3 depressed-arch vehicle sheds to the courtyard elevation and a corbelled corner at the gable. A 2-storey bothy with corbelled corner stands next to the W range. Base course to E elevation of E range; long and short quoins.
Materials: timber-boarded doors to courtyard elevations, and glazed doors to flats. Predominantly 12-pane glazing with some 6-, 8- and 9-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows of different sizes. Random rubble with ashlar dressings. Graded grey slate. Coped stacks with yellow clay cans.
There is very little documentary evidence about this building, but it is believed to have been built as the stables for Glenbuckie House. Glenbuckie House was built in about 1825, and so it is assumed that these stables were built soon afterwards. Glenbuckie house replaced an earlier house that was also quite substantial, and it is therefore possible that a stable or steading already existed on this site. The gothick detailing on the entrance gable is stylistically dateable to about 1830, but the basket arches on the courtyard elevation of the E range are in a style that was more common at the end of the 18th century. The proximity of the N and S ranges to the basket-arched openings suggests that these ranges were added later. Jerkin-headed gables are a feature that was more commonly used in the 2nd half of the 19th century. It is also noted that the Northern jerkin-headed gable has ashlar quoins, while the one to the South does not, which would suggest separate phases of building. In the late 1840s Glenbuckie House was purchased by David Carnegie who rebuilt and enlarged the house and renamed it Stronvar. It would appear that considerable work was carried out at the stables as well. The 2nd edition OS map indicates that alterations were made to the S and W ranges: the W range in particular appears to be considerably deeper than on the 1st edition map, and was probably entirely rebuilt. The use of cream ashlar window surrounds marks the later work, which also included the gabled wing to the rear of the S range and the detached bothy. By the early 20th century the stables were in use as a farm steading, with the farmer using the upper floor at the NE corner as the farmhouse. The room above the entrance arch was used as a living room, and the arch was filled in at about this time in an attempt to keep the room warm. The building was previously harled.
Other nearby listed buildings