This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4792 / 56°28'45"N
Longitude: -3.4391 / 3°26'20"W
OS Eastings: 311456
OS Northings: 732824
OS Grid: NO114328
Mapcode National: GBR V6.LNZK
Mapcode Global: WH6PZ.4DKV
Plus Code: 9C8RFHH6+M8
Entry Name: Stanley Mills East Range
Listing Name: East Range, Cotton Warehouse and Workshops, Stanley Mills
Listing Date: 30 June 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 335761
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4491
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathtay
Traditional County: Perthshire
Circa 1823-55. 1- and 2-storey and attic gabled rubble-built ranges with ashlar dressings. Linking passages at 1st floor and attic. From S to N.
2-STOREY AND ATTIC BUILDING: perhaps a hand mule room or for hand looms, circa 1823-40. 10-bay, extended by 3 bays to N. 2 ground and 1 first floor doors in W elevation, originally windows. E elevation 3-storey piend roofed hoist tower to S on cast-iron brackets: later brick lift
shaft in S gable. Composite timber and iron trussed gangway to bleach works, partially boarded at centre of 1st floor.
WAREHOUSE: to N, 1-storey and attic, with 2 large round arched doors in E and W elevations. Smaller doors to small workshop at S. Round arched door with hoist door over in N gable.
INTERIOR: timber floors with length-wise beams. In 2-storey building a central row of vertically interconnected cast-iron columns, with flanged capitals to carry twin beams. 2 additional rows of timber props at ground floor. Bobbins on ceiling to direct belting. Plastered collar-beam attic. Similar attic over warehouse, with ground floor single row of cast-iron columns.
Apparently not initially a powered building. The layout of the 2-storey building suggest hand-operated spinning mules for weft. The attics of both building probably had similar purposes, such as reeling prior to bleaching. Bleachworks to East, part 1820s, extended late 19th and early 20th centuries, comprised in 1912 a stone-built bleaching croft, brick-built chlorine house and stone and brick drying house. Somewhat altered with timber slate roofs on cast-iron columns.
Other nearby listed buildings