This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.4792 / 56°28'45"N
Longitude: -3.4397 / 3°26'22"W
OS Eastings: 311424
OS Northings: 732825
OS Grid: NO114328
Mapcode National: GBR V6.LNW8
Mapcode Global: WH6PZ.4DBT
Plus Code: 9C8RFHH6+M4
Entry Name: East Mill, Stanley Mills
Listing Name: East Mill, Stanley Mills, with Mill Pond and Sluice
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338376
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6690
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Strathtay
Traditional County: Perthshire
Circa 1802-13, substantially rebuilt and enlarged circa 1823-9, top floors rebuilt following fire of 1848. Complete by 1855, 5-storey basement and attic 2-by 16-bay N extension. Single-storey brick-built addition to W circa 1900.
E ELEVATION: 20-bay, basement towards S with string course built 1790s or 1802-09 (cf. Bell Mill). Segmental arched opening at forst position of waterwheel with later blocked window at 6th bay from S. Waterwheels re-located to N in 1820s when mill enlarged, arched concreted when wheels made redundant in 1921. Header pond, iron sluice gate and rubble-built arch to culvert.
W ELEVATION: similar treatment of S basement, (tail-race culverted under end of Mid Mill). 3 N-lit sheds added at N (without breaking into the old wall), S-most bay with cotton store basement on site of wheelhouse. Gable at W toothed to receive extension of mill, unbuilt. Later 19th century lift tower, partly glazed, now harled and converted to foremen's buckies, beside later brick lift shaft.
N GABLE: 2-bay, recess to right for incomplete mill extension. Modern ground floor loading bay.
S GABLE: blind except 2 ground floor windows. Blocked doors to former stair towerat each level, removed when extension built with new stair. Modern lean-to addition at ground.
Gabled slate roof, piended at N. Windows sash and case, 16-pane glazing pattern, several altered.
INTERIOR: timber floors on a single central row of cylindrical cast-iron columns. Basement reinforced by 2 rows of cast-iron pipes. Jilkes turbine seatings (1879). Ground, 1st and 2nd floor cross-beams. 3rd floor cross-beams on timber pads to N 6 bays: longitudinal beam to S and in 4th floor (these probably rebuilt after 1848 fire). Plastered collar-beam roof. 4 bays to N: small side room with flagstone landings on lengthwise cast-iron beam and columns with decorative spandrels. Timber roofs to single-storey NW extension, columns replaced in steel.
Flax and cotton mill built in 1790s, burnt down 1799, rebuilt circa 1802-9. Present form suggests layout for mule-spinning of cotton. The ironwork appears to be post-1823 but it is possible that more of the mill dates from the 1802-9 period than is here suggested. Machinery is modern, except dismantled reels, etc in upper floors.
Other nearby listed buildings