History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

East Beacon, Scurdie Ness

A Category B Listed Building in Montrose and District, Angus

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.7022 / 56°42'7"N

Longitude: -2.442 / 2°26'31"W

OS Eastings: 373030

OS Northings: 756804

OS Grid: NO730568

Mapcode National: GBR VZ.1T09

Mapcode Global: WH8RK.GSCX

Plus Code: 9C8VPH25+V5

Entry Name: East Beacon, Scurdie Ness

Listing Name: East Beacon and West Beacon, Scurdie Ness

Listing Date: 11 June 1971

Last Amended: 19 March 2021

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 336274

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB4959

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Craig

County: Angus

Electoral Ward: Montrose and District

Parish: Craig

Traditional County: Angus

Find accommodation in


A pair of beacons or daymarks marking the entrance to Montrose Harbour at the point of Scurdie Ness where the River South Esk enters the sea.

East Beacon is a sharply-tapering, conical, white-washed rubble stone beacon around 4m in height with a graduated ashlar base. West beacon is located higher up the shoreline. It is also conical in shape with a flat top and is constructed from white-washed coursed and snecked masonry. At only around 1.2m in height, the west beacon may not survive to its original height.

Historical development

The beacons are believed to be of 18th-century date (Hume 1976). They were erected to guide the masters of vessels entering the port of Montrose and are marked as 'beacon' on a chart of the harbour of Montrose (surveyed 1833, published 1842). The Ordnance Survey Second Edition map of Forfarshire (published 1904) denotes west beacon as a semaphore.

Statement of Interest

The beacons are rare examples of daymarks dating from the 18th century and may be the only surviving pair in Scotland (Hume 1976). They form part of an important grouping of buildings with Scurdie Ness Lighthouse to the east, designed by David and Thomas Stevenson and which became operational in 1870. Together these buildings performed a significant function by guiding mariners into the important east coast harbour of Montrose.

Statutory address and listed building record revised in 2021. Previously listed as 'Beacon, Scurdie Ness'.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.