This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9946 / 55°59'40"N
Longitude: -4.8952 / 4°53'42"W
OS Eastings: 219531
OS Northings: 681743
OS Grid: NS195817
Mapcode National: GBR 06.VB9J
Mapcode Global: WH2M1.SL5B
Plus Code: 9C7QX4V3+RW
Entry Name: Ferry Building, Shore Road, Blairmore
Listing Name: Blairmore Pier, Former Ticket Office
Listing Date: 26 May 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338260
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6611
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Dunoon and Kilmun
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Cowal
Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
Traditional County: Argyllshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
The former ticket office, a small rectangular Swiss cottage style building with a decorative timber screen, was built c1873 to serve the steamer traffic to Blairmore Pier. The office makes a picturesque contribution to the collection of buildings at Blairmore Pier and is a rare surviving example of the style in the area.
The first pier was built at Blairmore in 1855 (McCrorie and Monteith, 1982, 43). A plan drawn for Campbell in 1857 (Smith, 1857) appears to show a different office, with a large verandah on the sea (E) side. In 1873 considerable improvements were carried out to the pier (Ordnance Gazetteer, 1882) and it is likely that this involved the construction of the present office. At present (2004) in poor condition, the small rectangular-plan office is of rubble with red sandstone dressings. To the S is a verandah with a pierced and arched timber screen and decorative wrought iron baluster panels, behind which is the square ticket window. To the N is a ruinous lean-to, probably built later as toilets. To the E and the W were small gabled canopies, but only that to the W has survived. On the E elevation there were two doors, but one was later blocked up to form a window.
Materials: whin and schist rubble with red sandstone dressings. Decorative timber screens and posts, wrought iron railings. Graded grey slate roof with overhanging eaves, bracketted to verandah.
The pier was built by Campbell of Monzie to serve and encourage further development N along the shore. Steamers to and from Arrochar and Lochgoilhead called regularly at Blairmore. Regular services to the pier ceased in 1971.
Part of a B-Group with Blairmore Pier and Hall and Blairmore Place (see separate listings).
In November 2004 consent was granted for the extension and alteration of the building to form a dwelling house.
Other nearby listed buildings