This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9945 / 55°59'40"N
Longitude: -4.8956 / 4°53'44"W
OS Eastings: 219504
OS Northings: 681730
OS Grid: NS195817
Mapcode National: GBR 06.VB69
Mapcode Global: WH2M1.RLYF
Plus Code: 9C7QX4V3+QQ
Entry Name: Blairmore Hall (Former Ferry Waiting Room)
Listing Name: Blairmore Hall (Former Ferry Waiting Room)
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398422
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50417
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Dunoon and Kilmun
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Cowal
Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
Traditional County: Argyllshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Along with the pier and the ticket office, Blairmore Hall is an important part of the marine heritage of Loch Long. The development of the Blairmore coast as a marine resort was made possible by the development of steamer services connecting with Glasgow. The set of buildings at Blairmore Pier forms a nucleus for the scattered development. This later 19th century hall, a simple single storey rectangular structure with round-arched openings, is central to the group.
Blairmore pier opened for business in 1855 and connected regularly with Lochgoilhead, Kilmun and Greenock. It is likely that the hall was built when the pier was improved in 1873 (Ordnance Gazetteer, 167). The building, which served as the waiting room and 'Refreshment Rooms' (see early photographs), E-facing, is gable-fronted, 3-bays wide by 7 bays deep with regular fenestration along the sides. The gabled front to the road has the entrance to the right, with a round-headed doorway reached by three stone steps. To the left of this are two further round-headed windows. In the gable is a round clock in a stone oculus. To each side elevation there are similar round-headed windows, as well as large sliding doors to the W.
The OS map of c1898 shows a further building to the rear of this, but at present only a de-roofed lean-to survives. Early photographs show the hall with a sign across the front gable and decorative bargeboards.
Interior: the interior, consisting of one large room, is plain, boarded to dado height. The ceiling, at low collar height, is flat, with a plain cornice.
Materials: whinstone rubble with sandstone dressings. Timber sash and case windows. 2-leaf timber door. Timber boarded sliding doors to sides.
Blairmore pier eventually closed for business in the 1970s. The building is currently in use as a community hall.
B group with the Former Ticket Office, Blairmore Place and Blairmore Pier (see separate listings).
Other nearby listed buildings