This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.9954 / 55°59'43"N
Longitude: -4.8956 / 4°53'44"W
OS Eastings: 219508
OS Northings: 681829
OS Grid: NS195818
Mapcode National: GBR 06.VB5Z
Mapcode Global: WH2M1.RKYR
Plus Code: 9C7QX4W3+4Q
Entry Name: Lodge, Blairmore House, Shore Road, Blairmore
Listing Name: Blairmore, Shore Road, Blairmore House, Lodge
Listing Date: 4 May 2006
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 398438
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50427
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Dunoon and Kilmun
County: Argyll and Bute
Electoral Ward: Cowal
Parish: Dunoon And Kilmun
Traditional County: Argyllshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Blairmore House, of 1858, is one of the premier marine villas in Blairmore. This lodge is an integral part of the composition and the design corresponds to that of the main house. It contributes to the streetscape of Blairmore.
The small lodge, with a rounded corner to the road (SE) has a slate roof with a large coped central chimney, heavy rusticated consoles matching those on the main house and a concave moulded door surround. The symmetrical S elevation has a central entrance and flanking bipartite windows.
Interior: admission to the interior of the lodge was not obtained during the course of the 2004 survey.
Materials: harled rubble, sandstone dressings. Grey slate roof, stone stacks and clay cans. Timber doors, timber sash and case windows.
Blairmore House was built in 1858 for Hugh Highgate, a Paisley fish oil refiner. The Highgate family had a number of properties in the area including Mossgiel and Vine Cottage in Blairmore. It was they who built the Alliance Church in Strone (now known as Highgate Hall).
The settlement of the W shore of Loch Long was a continuation from the development of Kilmun and Strone, which began in the late 1820s when marine engineer David Napier feued a three mile stretch of land from Campbell of Monzie and ran daily steamer connections to Glasgow. Blairmore pier opened in 1855, encouraging development northwards.
B-Group with Blairmore House. The balustraded walls and gatepiers are listed with the main house.
Other nearby listed buildings