This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.7547 / 55°45'17"N
Longitude: -2.1138 / 2°6'49"W
OS Eastings: 392958
OS Northings: 651269
OS Grid: NT929512
Mapcode National: GBR F1PW.5X
Mapcode Global: WH9YH.HMP6
Plus Code: 9C7VQV3P+VF
Entry Name: Tweedhill
Listing Name: Tweedhill House Including Ancillary Structure
Listing Date: 15 March 2001
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 338530
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB6818
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward/Division: Norham and Islandshires
Traditional County: Berwickshire
Lieutenancy Area (Ceremonial County): Northumberland
Mid to later 19th century, possibly incorporating late 18th century fabric with later alterations. 2-storey, 5-bay, near T-plan villa with classical details and various additions at rear. Coursed and tooled pink sandstone; rubble at rear; ashlar dressings. Base course; raised cill courses; eaves course beneath oversailing timber bracketed eaves. Narrow quoin strips; plain margins at ground with bracketed cills and consoled cornices; segmental-arched, shouldered architraves at 1st floor with bracketed cills. Single storey, octagonal-plan ancillary structure to S.
S (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: 4-bay principal range with flat-roofed classical porch projecting at ground to outer right comprising Ionic columns flanking entrance, square-plan pillar to left, engaged pilaster to right, plain frieze, cornice; parapet; 2-leaf, glazed timber door within, 2-pane fanlight, narrow side-lights. Single windows at ground in remaining 3 bays to left (mounting stone beneath opening in penultimate bay to outer left); single windows in all bays at 1st floor. 2-storey piended projection to outer right with single windows centred at both floors.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: 3-bay principal block with slightly advanced central bay, with tripartite doorway (French doors) at ground (2001) and single window above; tripartite windows (narrow side-lights) flanking at ground; single windows aligned above. Single storey, 2-bay wing adjoined to outer right with gabled, sandstone dormerheads to single windows in both bays.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: 2-storey block to outer left with modern garage door centred in single storey projection at ground. Single bay wing recessed to right with bipartite windows centred at both floors. 2-bay wing recessed to right with squat windows at ground; single windows at 1st floor; single window centred in single storey addition in re-entrant angle to left. 3-bay wing to outer right with single windows at ground; 2 single windows at 1st floor.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: blank elevation to projecting principal range. 2-storey block recessed to outer right with flat-roofed porch in re-entrant angle to left. 2-storey block recessed to left with various additions in re-entrant angle to right. Single storey addition adjoined to outer left.
Plate glass, 6- and 8-pane glazing in timber sash and case windows; some casement glazing to front and side. Purple slate piended roofs. Corniced cream sandstone ashlar ridge and wallhead stacks with decorative consoles; various stacks.
INTERIOR: later 19th century fixed decorative schemes in place with alterations 2001. Arched vestibule opening; panelled doors; skirting boards; timber panelled shutters. Some decorative plaster cornices; remainder plain. Marble fireplaces in ground floor reception rooms. Stair with balustered uprights, square-plan newel, timber handrail. Various alterations to original plan and addition of openings between rooms; service stair removed; former kitchen converted to garage late 20th century.
ANCILLARY STRUCTURE: former pump house (?). Single storey, octagonal-plan, rubble-built structure. Boarded timber door; single window opening at rear. Platformed grey slate roof. INTERIOR: rubble walls. Boarded timber ceiling.
Both Tweedhill and the nearby Spital House (see separate list entry) are noted in the NEW STATISTICAL ACCOUNT as '...neat country residences.' However, the existing Tweedhill House appears to date from the mid to later 19th century, suggesting that the house present in 1834 was replaced. A well-detailed, prominently sited villa, overlooking the River Tweed. See separate list entries for the nearby stables once associated with the house, 'Tweedhill Stables' (now owned separately and converted into a private residence), the walled garden, 'Tweedhill Garden' (also now separately owned with a modern house erected within it) and the main entrance, 'Tweedhill House, Boundary Wall, Quadrant Walls, Piers and Gatepiers to the NW' (still associated with the main house). The gate lodge, also still associated with the house, dates from the late 20th century and is built on the site of the original structure. Rutherfurd's notes a Mr James Macbraire, Esq as owner of Tweedhill in 1866.
Other nearby listed buildings