History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

House Adjoining Masonic Hall, Main Street, Killin

A Category C Listed Building in Killin, Stirling

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.4651 / 56°27'54"N

Longitude: -4.3195 / 4°19'10"W

OS Eastings: 257191

OS Northings: 732741

OS Grid: NN571327

Mapcode National: GBR HCQM.L4M

Mapcode Global: WH3L4.MRBN

Plus Code: 9C8QFM8J+26

Entry Name: House Adjoining Masonic Hall, Main Street, Killin

Listing Name: Killin, Main Street, Masonic Lodge and White House and Manse Brae, Breadalbane Cottage

Listing Date: 5 October 1971

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 340375

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB8273

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Killin

County: Stirling

Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith

Parish: Killin

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Killin

Description

Loch Lomond and Trossachs National Park Planning Authority

This building consists of a 2-storey house now converted to form 2 flats (White House and Breadalbane Cottage) and an adjoining single storey wing which was converted to a Masonic Lodge in the earlier 20th century. Originally dating to circa 1845 the building is composed of white harl and is located at a crossroads in the village. The building retains much of its architectural character and is unusual in that its principal 3-bay frontage does not face the street and its gable end is given this prominence instead. The gabled dormers are typical of the local architectural tradition. Local knowledge suggests that the building may have related to an earlier sawmill formerly located nearby.

The (East) street elevation consists of the Masonic Lodge to the left which has a 3-bay frontage with the window in the central bay larger than the outer bays. Above this central window there is a gable breaking the eaves and an inscribed stone, 'LODGE BREADALBANE ST FILLANS No 815 A.D 1907'. The entrance is to the rear within a monopitch section. To the right is the divided house consisting of 2 bays, 1 gabled bay to the far right and the other bay with a gabled dormer breaking the eaves. The North elevation of the house is 3-bay with corresponding gabled dormers breaking the eaves and a central entrance. The entrance to the upper flat is located to the rear.

The house has a gable stack at its junction with the Lodge and a gable stack to the rear elevation.

INTERIOR

The Lodge's timber-lined interior has recently (2004) been refurbished following discovery of dry rot.

MATERIALS

Predominantly timber sash and case window to the Lodge, 4-pane and 2-pane over 4-pane. The house has non-traditional replacement windows.

Statement of Interest

Part of a B-group with Birchbank, Glengarry and Ashlea and Upper Ashlea.

The Earl of Breadalbane gifted the Lodge to the Masons.

Category changed B to C(S), 4 May 2006.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.