History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Brunton Barn Dovecot

A Category C Listed Building in Glenrothes, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.2066 / 56°12'23"N

Longitude: -3.1198 / 3°7'11"W

OS Eastings: 330630

OS Northings: 702124

OS Grid: NO306021

Mapcode National: GBR 2C.DT7D

Mapcode Global: WH6RH.18N8

Plus Code: 9C8R6V4J+M3

Entry Name: Brunton Barn Dovecot

Listing Name: Brunton Barns, Dovecot

Listing Date: 27 June 1973

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 342405

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB10011

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Kennoway

County: Fife

Electoral Ward: Glenrothes North, Leslie and Markinch

Parish: Kennoway

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Markinch

Description

Pre-1800. Small, square-plan, single chamber 'lectern' doocot. Random rubble with sandstone quoins and chamfered dressings. Stepped rat course/alighting ledge with 3 small openings to S (principal elevation). INTERIOR: lined with stone nesting boxes to E, N and W walls.

Remains of rectangular steading range including coped wall with small window at re-entrant angle adjoining doocot to left.

Statement of Interest

This is a largely intact example of a 'lectern' doocot (dove or pigeon house) which became the dominant form of doocot in Scotland during the 17th and 18th centuries. This example is unusual in that it has a raised opening rather than a door as its principal means of access, probably as an additional precautionary measure against infiltration by vermin. The doocot is located on high ground with views over open farmland with the slope of the roof having a south-facing aspect and was part of the former steading at Brunton Barns (fragmentary elements of which remain upstanding, 2013).

The lectern doocot, so named on account of its characteristic sloping mono-pitch roof, was first introduced in the late 16th century. Around three quarters of all surviving 17th, 18th and 19th century lectern doocots in Scotland are in the Fife region. The design is very uncommon outside of Scotland.

The former steading sits to the NE of the site of Barnslee (Brunton) House which was demolished in the early 20th century. From the late 1700s to 1830, Barnslee was the seat of Colonel William Paston and after that his widow before passing to John Balfour of Balbirnie in the mid 19th century. The Statistical Accounts of Scotland (1790s) notes that Brunton was the site of a 13th century castle of Malcolm, Earl of Fife.

Brunton Walled Garden lies to the SW within Markinch Parish (see separate listing).

Change of statutory address, change of category from B to C and list description updated, 2013. Previously listed as 'Brunton Barns And Brunton Divecot'.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.