History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Errol Village, Church Lane, Former Free Church, (Sanfina Uk Ltd)

A Category C Listed Building in Errol, Perth and Kinross

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.392 / 56°23'31"N

Longitude: -3.2122 / 3°12'43"W

OS Eastings: 325264

OS Northings: 722852

OS Grid: NO252228

Mapcode National: GBR 27.1B91

Mapcode Global: WH6QG.MLLP

Entry Name: Errol Village, Church Lane, Former Free Church, (Sanfina Uk Ltd)

Listing Date: 9 June 1981

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 344187

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB11595

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Errol

County: Perth and Kinross

Electoral Ward: Carse of Gowrie

Parish: Errol

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Kinnaird

Description

1843. Carles Spence of Rait, builder. Understated Tudor gothic church with pyramidally-capped squat entrance tower and 4-bay aisled nave. Snecked rubble with stugged ashlar quoins. Band courses. Pointed-arch openings. Timber mullions and chamfered arrises.

N (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: finialled 2-stage tower to centre with broad hoodmoulded pointed-arch doorway and panelled timber door, clock in roundel above and band course giving way to low 2nd stage with 2 closely aligned louvered opening to N, E and W. Flanking piend-roofed aisles each with 2 square-headed 2-light traceried windows to lower (also piended) bays in re-entrants.

E (CHURCH LANE) ELEVATION: 2-light traceried window to each bay of 4-bay nave on ground falling steeply to S, penultimate bay to right with further small opening abutting base of window.

W (OLD CHURCHYARD) ELEVATION: as E elevation but all windows altered, that to left of centre blocked.

S ELEVATION: largely blank elevation with gable to centre and piended outer bays, that to left with small square basement window.

Plate glass glazing. Grey slates and corrugated-iron roof. Cast-iron downpipes, decorative rainwater hoppers to S.

INTERIOR: retains cast-iron columns.

Statement of Interest

Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. Formerly listed as Thomson's (Woodworkers) Ltd, (Former Free Church) Cowgate. Built by the Free Church Association, the foundation stone was laid on 15th August, 1843 by Charles Playfair of East Inchmichael. The building was officially opened on 10th December the same year.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.