This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.3928 / 56°23'34"N
Longitude: -3.2114 / 3°12'41"W
OS Eastings: 325311
OS Northings: 722944
OS Grid: NO253229
Mapcode National: GBR 27.14HB
Mapcode Global: WH6QG.MLY1
Plus Code: 9C8R9QVQ+4C
Entry Name: Female Industrial School, North Bank Dykes, Errol
Listing Name: Errol Village, North Bank Dykes, Community Centre (Former Female Industrial School) Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 344181
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB11590
Building Class: Cultural
County: Perth and Kinross
Electoral Ward: Carse of Gowrie
Traditional County: Perthshire
J, J M and W H Hay of Liverpool, 1855. Single storey, 6-bay, L-plan former school. Snecked rubble with contrasting ashlar dressings. Base and eaves courses. Pointed-arch door, trefoil-headed and basket-arched windows. Stone mullions and chamfered arrises.
W (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: slightly advanced gabled bay to right with raised centre 4-light window and relieving arch, boarded timber door with decorative ironwork hinges in recessed bay to left and 2-stage stack piercing eaves to outer left angle.
S (NORTH BACK DYKES) ELEVATION: 6 regularly-disposed square-headed windows, basket-arched and ogee-moulded. Schoolhouse (listed separately) adjoining to outer right.
N ELEVATION: gabled bay to right with trefoil-headed tripartite and stack (see above) to outer right angle; recessed bays to left obscured by modern flat-roofed extension, wallhead stack to left replaced in brick. Schoolhouse adjoining at outer left.
Diamond-pattern leaded glazing to N, that to W retaining latticed trefoils over 4- and 5-pane glazing patterns; horizontal 10-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows to S. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stack with polygonal can, and coped shouldered brick stack with can. Stepped ashlar-coped skews with moulded skewputts.
INTERIOR: boarded dado; hammerbeam roof on stone corbels.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: low brick boundary wall with semicircular stone coping (formerly with inset railings). Flat-coped, square-section ashlar gatepiers with ironwork gates.
The Schoolhouse is listed separately (see Station Road). The Industrial School was built to educate local females in 'the arts of womanhood'. Mr & Mrs Drummond of Megginch were benefactors, and a commemorative panel on the Schoolhouse reads 'This Building for a Female Industrial School was erected through the Exertions of the Rev John Caird minister of the Parish of Errol aided by many friends. Opened February A D 1836'. The school was closed in the mid 1970s.
Other nearby listed buildings