History in Structure

3 Main Street, Temple

A Category C Listed Building in Temple, Midlothian

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.8165 / 55°48'59"N

Longitude: -3.092 / 3°5'31"W

OS Eastings: 331671

OS Northings: 658682

OS Grid: NT316586

Mapcode National: GBR 61V5.DR

Mapcode Global: WH6TF.G2V9

Plus Code: 9C7RRW85+J6

Entry Name: 3 Main Street, Temple

Listing Name: Temple Village, 5 Main Street

Listing Date: 22 January 1971

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 348064

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB14649

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200348064

Location: Temple

County: Midlothian

Electoral Ward: Midlothian South

Parish: Temple

Traditional County: Midlothian

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


Later 18th century. Single storey; 9 bay; rectangular plan traditional row of 3 cottages now forming 1 house, with later additions to right and rear. Tooled random rubble with droved dressings. Long and short quoins and dressings.

SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: asymmetrical; wide window to centre, originally a doorway; bipartite window to penultimate bay to right, originally a doorway; boarded timber replacement doorway to penultimate bay to left; regular fenestration to remaining bays. Single storey, single bay, bull faced 20th century addition recessed to outer right with single window off centre to right.

SE & NE ELEVATIONS: not seen 1998.

NW ELEVATION: obscured by 20th century addition (see above).

Predominantly 12 pane timber sash and case windows. Replacement concrete pantiled roof with concrete ridge; stone skews; tooled coped gablehead and ridge stacks with circular cans. Cast iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 1998.

Statement of Interest

This was originally a row of three cottages, which have now been converted into one long cottage. The Main Street of Temple Village ascends from the banks of the River South Esk on both sides of the road. The village takes its name from the Knights Templar whose headquarters it was from the early 12th century. However, before it took on its present name in 1570 it was called Balintrode or Balantrodach. The Order of the Temple was founded to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land. The Knights were given land in England and Scotland as a reward. In 1312 the Order was suppressed, and the lands were given to the Knights of St John of Jerusalem. The Knights of St John were funded by the residents of Temple who gave them one tenth of their income.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.