History in Structure

21 Main Street, Temple

A Category C Listed Building in Temple, Midlothian

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.8157 / 55°48'56"N

Longitude: -3.0915 / 3°5'29"W

OS Eastings: 331700

OS Northings: 658586

OS Grid: NT317585

Mapcode National: GBR 61V6.H2

Mapcode Global: WH6TF.H22Y

Plus Code: 9C7RRW85+7C

Entry Name: 21 Main Street, Temple

Listing Name: Temple Village, 21 Main Street

Listing Date: 22 January 1971

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 348065

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB14650

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200348065

Location: Temple

County: Midlothian

Electoral Ward: Midlothian South

Parish: Temple

Traditional County: Midlothian

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


Dated 1760. 2 storey, 3 bay, tradition rectangular plan house with later addition to rear. Tooled sandstone rubble with broached dressings. Long and short dressings and quoins.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; doorway with relieving arch to centre of ground; tooled lintel reading "TB 1760" with carved setsquare and pair of compasses to centre (symbol of a mason); replacement timber door with glazed panel; windows to flanking bays. Regular fenestration to 1st floor.

S ELEVATION: obscured by adjoining cottage.

E ELEVATION: not seen 1998.

N ELEVATION: asymmetrical; single window off centre to left of 1st floor. 19th century tooled addition to outer left with single window off centre to right of ground floor.

12 pane timber sash and case windows to ground, 4 pane timber sash and case windows to 1st floor. Grey slate roof with lead ridge; stone skews; coped tooled gablehead stacks with circular cans. Cast iron rainwater goods.

Statement of Interest

No 21 is the oldest dated building on the Main Street of Temple Village, which ascends from the banks of the River South Esk on both sides of the road. The village takes its name from the Knights Templar whose headquarters it was from the early 12th century. However, before it took on its present name in 1570 it was called Balintrode or Balantrodach. The Order of the Temple was founded to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land. The Knights were given land in England and Scotland as a reward. In 1312 the Order was suppressed, and the lands were given to the Knights of St John of Jerusalem. The Knights of St John were funded by the residents of Temple who gave them one tenth of their income.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.