This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8157 / 55°48'56"N
Longitude: -3.0913 / 3°5'28"W
OS Eastings: 331710
OS Northings: 658582
OS Grid: NT317585
Mapcode National: GBR 61V6.J2
Mapcode Global: WH6TF.H25Z
Plus Code: 9C7RRW85+7F
Entry Name: 29 Main Street, Temple
Listing Name: Temple Village, 29 Main Street
Listing Date: 22 January 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 352203
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB18193
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Midlothian South
Traditional County: Midlothian
Later 18th century. Single storey and attic, 3 bay, rectangular plan traditional cottage, with later additions and alterations. Tooled, coursed sandstone with droved dressings. Gabled timber dormers with terracotta finials.
W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical; replacement window (formerly doorway) to centre of ground floor; window to each flanking bay. Dormer to left and right bays of attic floor.
S ELEVATION: obscured by adjoining building.
E ELEVATION: not seen 1998.
N ELEVATION: asymmetrical; harled; single window off centre to right of attic floor.
Predominantly 4 pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slate roof with terracotta ridge; stone skews. Coped harled and cement faced gablehead stacks, circular cans to stack to S. Cast iron rainwater goods.
INTERIOR: not seen 1998.
The Main Street of Temple Village ascends from the banks of the River South Esk on both sides of the road. The village takes its name from the Knights Templar whose headquarters it was from the early 12th century. However, before it took on its present name in 1570 it was called Balintrode or Balantrodach. The Order of the Temple was founded to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land. The Knights were given land in England and Scotland as a reward. In 1312 the Order was suppressed, and the lands were given to the Knights of St John of Jerusalem. The Knights of St John were funded by the residents of Temple who gave them one tenth of their income.
Other nearby listed buildings