History in Structure

27 Main Street, Temple

A Category B Listed Building in Temple, Midlothian

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 55.8154 / 55°48'55"N

Longitude: -3.0913 / 3°5'28"W

OS Eastings: 331713

OS Northings: 658559

OS Grid: NT317585

Mapcode National: GBR 61V6.K5

Mapcode Global: WH6TF.H364

Plus Code: 9C7RRW85+5F

Entry Name: 27 Main Street, Temple

Listing Name: Temple Village 25-27 (Odd Nos) Main Street

Listing Date: 22 January 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 348067

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB14651

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200348067

Location: Temple

County: Midlothian

Electoral Ward: Midlothian South

Parish: Temple

Traditional County: Midlothian

Tagged with: Architectural structure

Find accommodation in


Dated 1761. Single storey, 2 3 bay traditional cottages converted into one cottage. Rectangular plan with later additions to rear. Random rubble with droved dressings. Vertical quoins; raised window surrounds.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: near symmetrical; replacement boarded timber doorways to penultimate bay to left and penultimate bay to right; that to right with 5 pane fanlight, basket arched doorway with impost detail, tooled lintel reads "A 1761", with circular carved panel to centre. Regular fenestration to remaining bays.

S ELEVATION: asymmetrical; infilled window to left at ground; small window opening off centre to left of gablehead. Harled addition to outer right.

E & N ELEVATIONS: not seen 1998.

12 pane timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slate roof with lead ridge; cement faced skews; coped gablehead stacks, stone to left, cement faced to right; with circular cans. Cast iron rainwater goods.

INTERIOR: not seen 1998.

Statement of Interest

One of the oldest houses on the Main Street of Temple Village. The carved panel about the left hand door, now badly weathered, would have been carved with the symbol for the trade of the inhabitant. Temple Village ascends from the banks of the River South Esk on both sides of the road. The village takes its name from the Knights Templar whose headquarters it was from the early 12th century. However, before it took on its present name in 1570 it was called Balintrode or Balantrodach. The Order of the Temple was founded to protect pilgrims in the Holy Land. The Knights were given land in England and Scotland as a reward. In 1312 the Order was suppressed, and the lands were given to the Knights of St John of Jerusalem. The Knights of St John were funded by the residents of Temple who gave them one tenth of their income.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.