This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.185 / 56°11'5"N
Longitude: -4.2849 / 4°17'5"W
OS Eastings: 258284
OS Northings: 701501
OS Grid: NN582015
Mapcode National: GBR 0Y.G9CM
Mapcode Global: WH3MJ.4STW
Plus Code: 9C8Q5PM8+X2
Entry Name: Tollhouse, Port Of Menteith
Listing Name: Port of Menteith, the Toll House
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 348596
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB15073
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Port Of Menteith
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Parish: Port Of Menteith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Circa 1830, single storey toll house. Prominently situated in the heart of the hamlet of Port of Menteith on the main Stirling-Aberfoyle road (A81), opposite the Arnprior road-end. In the late 18th and early 19th centuries an extensive network of turnpike roads were built throughout Scotland by bodies of trustees who recouped their costs by levying tolls. Of good streetscape value, it is a good surviving example of an earlier 19th century toll house.
Near-symmetrical principal (S) elevation with advanced central gable from which a 2-light canted bay projects, overlooking the main road. Flanked to left by single window; to right, front door and single window. Substantial L-shaped single storey 20th century extension adjoining to NW, set back from and to the side of the principal elevation. To rear, advanced central gable with piended roof, irregular fenestration with mixture of 19th century and modern glazing.
The Toll House retains some of its original plan, with a small lobby behind the front door leading, to the right, into the former kitchen (with alcove for box-bed) and to the left, the room with the bay window.
Whitewashed rubble. Piended and pitched roofs with graded grey slates. Predominantly modern 4-pane timber sash and case windows. 2-leaf timber front door with 5-pane fanlight. Tall slightly shouldered wallhead stacks with circular clay cans. Timber bargeboards, some cast-iron rainwater goods.
The Toll House appears on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map (1859-64) as 'Port T P'. It was described in the Ordnance Survey Namebook (1898) as 'Port of Menteith Toll Bar. A turnpike gate having a dwelling house attached. The turnpike road terminates at Port T P.'
Other nearby listed buildings