This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1791 / 57°10'44"N
Longitude: -3.1078 / 3°6'27"W
OS Eastings: 333127
OS Northings: 810356
OS Grid: NJ331103
Mapcode National: GBR WC.1N7D
Mapcode Global: WH6LN.7TC8
Entry Name: Glen Conrie, Mill of Glenconrie
Listing Date: 16 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 349888
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB16172
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Dated 1768. Unusual, split-level 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan dwelling of good quality, built as dower house for Inverernan on ground falling to W at mouth of Glen Conrie. Harled with deep-set openings, dated at skew. Original glazing.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: almost symmetrical entrance elevation to S with panelled timber door and narrow glazed fanlight to centre, small window above, window to each floor in bay to right, both 1st floor windows abutting eaves. Bay to left lower, again with windows at each floor.
9- and 16-pane glazing patterns in timber sash and case windows. Small grey slates and stone ridge. Squared rubble stacks harled at outer faces, with thackstanes and cans. Ashlar-coped skews and moulded skewputts, that to SW dated.
INTERIOR: good decorative scheme in place including 4- and 6-panelled timber doors, kitchen door boarded with long ironwork hinges and latch; exposed beams to kitchen ceiling, some rooms timber lined. Timber fire surround with granite hearth and bracketed mantel shelf to each room, that to dining room with swey and that to principal bedroom with cast iron horseshoe grate. Adzed beams in roof.
A well-detailed early house retaining much of its original character. Built as the dower house for Inverernan House which is sited at the other (north) side of the River Don. Built circa 1800, the mill was one of four meal mills in the parish recorded in the New Statistical Account. No trace of the building remains as it was destroyed by fire circa 1935. The nearby steading range, now converted to dwelling and garages, dates from the 19th century. Formerly run as a ten acre croft, there is an early water supply running from lade condies to the house.
Other nearby listed buildings