This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.3368 / 57°20'12"N
Longitude: -2.1793 / 2°10'45"W
OS Eastings: 389303
OS Northings: 827377
OS Grid: NJ893273
Mapcode National: GBR N9ZB.89N
Mapcode Global: WH9PQ.HVGD
Plus Code: 9C9V8RPC+P7
Entry Name: Free Church, Pitmedden
Listing Name: Pitmedden Former Free Church
Listing Date: 8 April 1993
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 353578
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19255
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Mid Formartine
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Circa 1860's. Hall church, plain Early Gothic style; on raised ground prominently sited in centre of village; pink squared and stugged sandstone with finely dressed margins; rectangular plan, 6 bays deep, each bay divided by wall buttress and lit at ground and gallery levels by single lancet windows with fixed metal window frames and clear glazing with margins.
Entrance to centre of front (SW) gabled elevation, pointed arched doorway set in steeply-pitched shallow-projecting entrance bay (not a full porch); 3-light gallery window above, each light a stilted lancet, with elongated, cusped plate tracery and simple coloured (blue and red) glass in quatrefoils, hood-mould continuous around 3 lancets; small blind quatrefoil to right of 3-light window, with pointed hood-mould; gable head coped and stepped up midway; masonry cross finial at apex. Rectangular-plan 4-stage clock and bell tower at W (left-hand) angle, slightly project to front (SW) and side (NW), with pair flanking wall buttresses to each elevation, clocks set beneath steeply-pitched masonry gablets at centre points on each elevation at 3rd stage, tower broached above to meet narrower square-plan upper belfry stage, with single segmental-pointed lancets, with timber louvres, capped by tall pyramid roof, slated with red tiled decorative banding, and with decorative iron weather-vane finial. Steeply pitched roof, slated, with decorative polychrome band at mid-point in slopes of roof, of red and green slates. Small lean-to roofed single-storey kitchen to rear (NE).
INTERIOR: U-plan timber gallery supported on Egyptian style cast-iron columns with cluster shafts and palmette capitals; gallery fronts stencilled in black with decorative floral borders and stylised fleur-de-lys frieze band; clock at centre of gallery front; herring-bone effect timber-lined roof, in two types of timber, lighter and darker in colour, pendant roof posts also decorated with stencilling. Contemporary pulpit with cusped panels at centre of NE (liturgical E) end (panelled, approached by steps with decorative cast-iron balustrade to either side) ; communion table in front of pulpit with banded column supports and cusped spandrels. Simple coloured stained glass in triangular pointed window above pulpit. Bench pews.
Enclosing wall to street and cast-iron railings with pierced cusped spear heads. Cast-iron, late 19th century decorative lamp carried in arch over entrance steps, glass of lamp replaced circa 1970's.
Now Church of Scotland. Prominent feature in the landscape. Consideration currently being given to a rear extension, and re-arrangement of seating within the church. (1993).
Other nearby listed buildings