History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Clements Street, East St Clement's Church and Churchyard Including Boundary Wall

A Category B Listed Building in Aberdeen, Aberdeen

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.147 / 57°8'49"N

Longitude: -2.0828 / 2°4'58"W

OS Eastings: 395086

OS Northings: 806240

OS Grid: NJ950062

Mapcode National: GBR SFM.KF

Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.ZMBC

Entry Name: St Clements Street, East St Clement's Church and Churchyard Including Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 12 January 1967

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 354385

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB19954

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Aberdeen

County: Aberdeen

Town: Aberdeen

Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Aberdeen

Description

John Smith, 1828. 3-bay symmetrical Gothic church, situated within graveyard with advanced central, pinnacled, crocketted and balustraded 4-stage entrance clock tower. Coursed and snecked granite rubble with smooth rubble dressings. Base course. Buttresses divide bays. Pinnacles to corners. Pointed segmental-arched openings. Central pointed-arched hoodmoulded entrance doorway (boarded up 2006). Louvred openings to belfry above. Later 19th century single storey hall attached to rear (E).

Predominantly 4-pane fixed timber stained glass windows. Grey slates.

INTERIOR: not seen at time of resurvey (2006).

CHURCHYARD: encircling church. Variety of mainly 19th century gravestones, some with decorative carvings and many with nautical inscriptions.

BOUNDARY WALL: 1650 with later additions. High, coped rubble wall. Carved plaque on N with inscription 'GEORGE DAVIDSONE ELDER BURGESS OF ABD BIGIT THIS DYK ON HIS OWN EXPENSES 1650'.

Statement of Interest

A good example of the work of local architect John Smith, East St Clement's is a striking building with an associated churchyard with a good collection of monuments. The central pinnacled tower is a strong feature and acts as a local landmark. The church is situated close to the Harbour and the onetime fishing community of Footdee.

The church was built to replace an earlier chapel, dating from the 15th century which had been for the use of the local fishermen and their families who lived in the surrounding area. The church was designed by John Smith to be at the heart of an extensive newly designed neighbourhood and was originally meant to be at the North side of a square. The plans for the neighbourhood never materialised and the area around St Clement's was gradually taken over by industry.

The graveyard provides an excellent historical record of the past local inhabitants, many of whom were involved in fishing or other maritime businesses.

John Smith (1781-1852), a native of Aberdeen, established himself in architectural practice in the city in 1804. He became the Master of Work in 1824 and designed many of Aberdeen's public buildings, showing an expertise in working with granite. With Archibald Simpson, (1790-1847), he was one of the major architects involved in designing the expanding nineteenth century city of Aberdeen. His other works include the Aberdeen Arts Centre. (see separate listing).

The church is currently disused (2006).

References from previous list description: Contracts, Aberdeen Journal Aug 15th 1827. NSA v12 p34. Hay Post-Ref Chs 241. Wilson, Delineation of Aberdeen p222. Chapman and Riley p147.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.