This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.1458 / 57°8'44"N
Longitude: -2.0834 / 2°5'0"W
OS Eastings: 395050
OS Northings: 806100
OS Grid: NJ950061
Mapcode National: GBR SFJ.PV
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.ZN2B
Plus Code: 9C9V4WW8+8J
Entry Name: Clarence Street And Limestreet Warehouse At Corner
Listing Name: Clarence Street and Limestreet Warehouse at Corner
Listing Date: 27 July 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399574
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50934
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Circa 1854. Large 4-storey, 12-bay, multi-gabled warehouse (now offices) building on prominent corner site with distinctive semicircular openings to upper floors. Coursed Aberdeen Bond granite with voussoired dressings.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: E ELEVATION: Segmental-arched opening with large 2-leaf timber door to right bay; semi-circular openings above with occulus window to gable apex. To left: 3-3-3 bay arrangement with central flat-roofed section flanked by gabled bays. Some louvred rectangular openings (mostly boarded) with raised cills; lowered aprons to central bays. Cast-iron oval ties between floors. N ELEVATION: Cast-iron oval ties between bays and floors. Continues at 2-storey, 5-bay section to right.
Multi-astragalled fixed-pane windows and rectangular louvred openings. Grey slate roof; ashlar skews and skewputs. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Corrugated iron pitched roof to 2-storey section.
INTERIOR: Spiral staircase. Cast-iron supporting columns.
This large and impressive warehouse occupies a prominent corner position to the rear of Waterloo Quay. The semi-circular openings are particularly distinctive and are unique in this area of Aberdeen. Warehouses were critical to Aberdeen's mercantile history and many were located near the harbour area. Only a handful of warehouses remain and this example is unusual for its semicircular window treatment. Warehouses are an increasingly important part of the character of the harbour area.
In 1854 the Northern Agricultural company aquired ground on this site to accommodate their business of 'Cake and Manure Manufactory' as shown on the 1st edition Ordnance Survey map of 1868. By the 1930's a company manufacturing edible fats occupied the Lime Street corner building. In 1972, the oil and offshore support company, Seaforth Maritime aquired the properties and began refurbishment work to convert the warehouses to office space.
Other nearby listed buildings