This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1464 / 57°8'46"N
Longitude: -2.0815 / 2°4'53"W
OS Eastings: 395167
OS Northings: 806165
OS Grid: NJ951061
Mapcode National: GBR SFT.9Q
Mapcode Global: WH9QR.0M3W
Entry Name: 35 St Clement Street
Listing Date: 27 July 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399606
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50955
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Late 19th century. 2-storey, 7-bay symmetrical Classical warehouse with slightly advanced and pedimented shouldered end bays breaking eaves. Central segmental-arched entrance. Granite rubble with squared dressings; prominent ashlar band course. Segmental openings to ground floor of pedimented bays; square openings to 1st floor inner bays set close to eaves. Later aluminium addition with concrete supports to rear.
Louvred openings. Grey slate. Gable stacks with coped ashlar skews and skewputs.
This warehouse at No 35 St Clements Street is a good example of a Classical warehouse design crucially situated close to the harbour, behind Waterloo Quay. The building is symmetrical and neatly composed. Its well-balanced principal (S) elevation is situated at an oblique angle to the street line adding considerably to the character of the area. The building is currently used for commercial purposes as a storage facility. Warehouses were critical to Aberdeen's mercantile history and many were located near the harbour area. Only a handful remain and these are an increasingly important part of the character of the harbour area.
The harbour at Aberdeen accounts for the city's prosperity, representing the key to its history. Development of Aberdeen Harbour gathered momentum from the late 18th century when the physical restrictions caused by the shallow depth of the Dee estuary became problematic for increasingly heavy trade. In the 18th century, the Shiprow quayside was greatly increased forming the terrace which was to become Regent Quay. The 18th century buildings that line Regents Quay originally looked out over the sands and tributaries of the Dee, before the construction of Vicoria Dock (1848). John Wood's map of 1810 shows the location for the intended wet dock, running the length of the as yet unnamed Trinity, Regent and Waterloo quays, all designed by renowned engineer Thomas Telford during the 1840s.
Other nearby listed buildings