This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1485 / 57°8'54"N
Longitude: -2.0927 / 2°5'33"W
OS Eastings: 394490
OS Northings: 806409
OS Grid: NJ944064
Mapcode National: GBR SD6.R4
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.TLN6
Entry Name: 14, 15 and 16 Castle Street
Listing Date: 12 January 1967
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 354772
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB20165
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Early 19th century. 3-storey and attic Classical tenement with double-height altered commercial premises to ground. Grey granite ashlar, rubble to rear. 6-panel timber entrance door to far left leads to pend. Bracketed timber fascia above commercial premises. 3 pedimented dormers in steeply pitched attic storey.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Grey slates, raised skews. Wide, coped brick gable stacks
This is a good example of an early Classical tenement which forms a significant part of the streetscape of the Castlegate. The simple Classical style is typical of granite buildings of this period before sophisticated cutting techniques were developed. A photograph of around 1880 shows the building with a single storey shop front and 3 storeys above. By 1900, however, photographic evidence suggests the building had been reconstructed to contain a double height shopfront and 2 storeys above, as it is currently (2006). The building is situated on the North side of Castle Street where the buildings date predominately from the early or mid 19th century.
Castle Street (or Castlegate) is considered by many to be the heart of Aberdeen city centre. It has been the site of the main market place since the 12th century. It contains a 17th century Mercat Cross (a Scheduled Ancient Monument). The central rectangular area has, through the centuries, been bounded by a succession of different buildings, predominantly private houses and commercial premises. The Tolbooth was built here in the 17th century. The earlier buildings were replaced from the 19th century onwards using the existing footprint, and therefore the important large central space which continues to form a focal point for the city was retained.
Part of B Group with Nos 1-7 Justice Street, Nos 9-23, 31-35, 40-48, 51 and 52 (inclusive nos) Castle Street, and Salvation Army Citadel.
Category changed from B to C(S), 2007.
Other nearby listed buildings