This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.1442 / 57°8'39"N
Longitude: -2.0902 / 2°5'24"W
OS Eastings: 394639
OS Northings: 805925
OS Grid: NJ946059
Mapcode National: GBR SDL.8V
Mapcode Global: WH9QQ.VPVK
Plus Code: 9C9V4WV5+MW
Entry Name: United House, 6 Regent Road
Listing Name: 6 Regent Road, United House
Listing Date: 27 July 2007
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 399605
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB50954
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: George St/Harbour
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
Late 19th century. 3-storey, 4 x 10-bay rectangular-plan M-gabled warehouse, situated on Harbour with principal 4-bay elevation to W (Regent Road). Decorative finials and skewputts with shouldered skews to gables. Coursed, tooled grey granite with contrasting paler dressings, pinned rubble to rear. Band courses. Shallow segmental-arched window openings to 1st storey. Large segmental-arched window opening to ground at right. Barred window openings. Blocked hoist door openings to side elevation (N).
Predominantly 6 and 8-pane timber fixed windows. Grey slates.
INTERIOR: (seen 2006). Timber floors with supporting circular cast-iron columns with "HARPERS IRONFOUNDERS, ABN" imprinted. Some alteration to offices at rear (2006).
This warehouse building is a rare survival on the dockside between the Victoria and Albert docks. Its distinctive M-gable elevation and shouldered skews make it easily distinguishable in the landscape. The hoist door openings to the North suggest that this may have been initially a grain warehouse. It continues to function as a private warehouse (2006). Warehouses were critical to Aberdeen's mercantile history and many were located near the harbour area where they formed an increasingly important part of the character of the area. Only a handful remain and this is an unusual example.
Aberdeen Harbour is reputed to be Britain's oldest business, having been trading continuously since 1136, when King David granted the Bishops of Aberdeen the right to levy a tithe on all ships trading at the port. During the succeeding centuries, the Harbour increased its international trade with record levels following the Union of Parliaments in 1707. The advent of steam in the 1880s brought more significant developments to the Harbour and this warehouse dates from this period of the harbour's expansion.
Other nearby listed buildings