This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 57.0505 / 57°3'1"N
Longitude: -3.0426 / 3°2'33"W
OS Eastings: 336845
OS Northings: 795974
OS Grid: NO368959
Mapcode National: GBR WF.9Y6V
Mapcode Global: WH7NL.71CV
Entry Name: Braemar Road, St Kentigern's Church (Scottish Episcopal) Including Walls
Listing Date: 16 April 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357261
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21830
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
A Marshall Mackenzie 1907. Single storey gabled church with nave and N aisle set within own grounds with boundary wall. Pink and grey squared and snecked granite with grey granite surrounds. Base course. Rounded dentils under eaves. Predominantly stained glass windows.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: S (street) elevation with gabled entrance porch to far left with round arch doorway and cavetto hoodmoulding and 2-leaf boarded timber door. Angled buttress to right indicates internal line of sanctuary.
Decorative crosses on W and E gable points and on coping over sanctuary line.
Predominantly slim lancet windows, single, paired or in groups of 3. Grey slate. Raised skews. Wallhead stack to NE.
BOUNDARY WALL: random granite rubble with large, rectangular coping. Low at W, S and E.
INTERIOR: original interior decoration largely intact. Arcade to N, 3 round arches on circular piers. Small chapel in N. aisle. Barrel vaulted timber ceiling. Oak furnishings, including pews, altar, pulpit and lectern. Wooden parquet flooring. Timber dado around nave and aisle with squared, coursed granite as dado in sanctuary. 20th century stained glass. Octagonal, pedestal baptismal font at north west corner with original working pulley mechanism for lifting font cover.
Ecclesiastical building in use as such. The church is finely detailed and retains much of its original decoration. The current church was built to replace a corrugated iron structure which had been the first Scottish Episcopal Mission to Ballater. Previous to this, the worshippers had met at the Chapel in Glenmuick House and the altar in the North aisle is said to have come from the Glenmuick Chapel. Originally called St Saviour's, it was re-dedicated to St Kentigern in 1945 was the charge was raised to an Incumbency. There is a new church hall building on North side, sympathetically designed to correspond with original church building.
A. Marshall Mackenzie was a Scottish architect of national repute. Born in Elgin, he was part of a architect dynasty. Although mainly associated with building in the North-East of Scotland, he was also given Royal Patronage in 1895 when asked to build the new Mar Lodge. Other works include Crathie Church (1893) and Marischal College in Aberdeen (1906).
Changed from category B to C(S) in 2006.
Other nearby listed buildings