This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 57.0501 / 57°3'0"N
Longitude: -3.0398 / 3°2'23"W
OS Eastings: 337016
OS Northings: 795925
OS Grid: NO370959
Mapcode National: GBR WF.9YZ7
Mapcode Global: WH7NL.82Q5
Plus Code: 9C9R3X26+23
Entry Name: Albert Memorial Hall, Station Square, Ballater
Listing Name: Station Square, Albert Memorial and Victoria Halls and Gordon Institute
Listing Date: 25 November 1980
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357264
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21833
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside
Traditional County: Aberdeenshire
W Duigid and Son (Ballater) builders. Albert Memorial Hall, 1875, Gordon Institute and Victoria Hall, 1895. Predominantly 2-storey asymmetrical U-plan multi-gabled hall group with 3-stage crenellated tower at E re-entrant angle. Pink coursed granite with grey granite dressings. Courtyard directly opposite Ballater station (see separate listing). Grey granite base course, band courses and eaves course. Consoled stone balconies above entrance doors. Some later minor additions.
FURTHER DESCRIPTION: angled corner entrance to Albert Hall to left, pinnacled and advanced to 1st and attic storey with commemorative plaque (see Notes). Gordon Institute with central advanced full height gabled entrance bay. Victoria Hall to right with gable to N with 4-panel timber door set within gables and ball-finialled entrance porch.
Predominantly timber 6-pane bipartite sash and case windows. Late 20th century oculus stained glass gable window to E. Grey graded slates. Decorative ridge tiles, conical and triangular ventilation openings. Gable finials. Ashlar coped skews, some gabled skewputts.
INTERIOR: some original features retained in Albert and Victoria halls, including pine panelling at dado height and 4-panel timber doors. Other areas comprehensively modernised. Open timber ceiling with trefoil motif springs from stone corbels.
These Halls are important Victorian civic buildings for the town, built at the height of Ballater's growing prosperity and they form a distinctive U-plan group. They are well-detailed with a distinctive corner tower and retain their original glazing pattern. They show a good decorative use of granite, the main local building material. They are situated directly opposite Ballater Station of 1866 (see separate listing), where Queen Victoria would alight on her frequent visits to Balmoral in order to continue her journey by coach. The placing of these buildings here emphasised their civic importance and aided the move of the focal centre of the village towards the Station Square and hence contribute to the streetscape of the town. The Halls were gifted to Ballater by Alexander Gordon, a local man who made his fortune in the brewing industry. They were originally for public entertainment and education and continue to be used in this way with the Gordon Institute housing the local library. The other halls serve as a centre for various community groups. The commemorative plaque is inscribed "This hall is erected to the memory of the Prince Consort Born 26th August 1817 Died 14th December 1861."
Other nearby listed buildings