History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Bridge Square, Monaltrie Hotel Including Boundary Wall

A Category C Listed Building in Ballater, Aberdeenshire

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 57.0478 / 57°2'51"N

Longitude: -3.0369 / 3°2'13"W

OS Eastings: 337186

OS Northings: 795666

OS Grid: NO371956

Mapcode National: GBR WF.B5Q1

Mapcode Global: WH7NL.B32Y

Entry Name: Bridge Square, Monaltrie Hotel Including Boundary Wall

Listing Date: 25 November 1980

Category: C

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 357285

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB21850

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Ballater

County: Aberdeenshire

Electoral Ward: Aboyne, Upper Deeside and Donside

Traditional County: Aberdeenshire

Find accommodation in
Ballater

Description

Circa 1860. Large 2-storey and attic purpose-built prominently sited hotel with deep eaves and distinctive black painted decorative bargeboarding. Unusually steeply pitched attic dormers. White painted harl with pink granite margins. Some hoodmoulds to W. Square pink granite corniced entrance porch with Tudor arched opening and blank heraldic panel above to N (entrance elevation) with flanking tripartite windows to ground with timber mullions. Pink granite parapetted bay windows to ground and basement to W. Basement storey to W and S elevations. Single storey later extension to E.

Predominantly plate glass timber sash and case windows set within a variety of window styles. Grey graded slates. Gable and ridge stacks. Cast iron rainwater goods

INTERIOR: original room plan largely extant. Modernised. Some fine decorative plasterwork in main public rooms. Some decorative Adam style chimneypieces.

BOUNDARY WALL: low rubble coped wall with cast iron railings with decorative baluster heads to W.

Statement of Interest

This is a particularly prominent building in Ballater, situated on the bank of the River Dee at the E entrance to Ballater from the Royal Bridge (see separate listing). It is distinguished by its decorative bargeboards, variety and generous provision of window types and its prominent position.

An earlier coaching inn, also called the Monaltrie Arms was built on this site in the 1830s. The current building has some cobbled floors at basement level and it is likely that this new hotel was built on the site of the old one. The current building is not pictured on the 1856 map of the town but is likely to have been constructed soon after this date. Originally called the Monaltrie Arms, after the Monaltrie Farquharsons who owned the land, it changed its name to the Invercauld Arms when the Invercauld Farquharsons obtained the land back from the Monaltrie Farquharsons. It reverted back to the Monaltrie Hotel in late 20th century to avoid confusion with the Invercauld Arms Hotel in Braemar. Conversion to flats proposed (2005).

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.