This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.9083 / 55°54'29"N
Longitude: -4.3022 / 4°18'7"W
OS Eastings: 256187
OS Northings: 670749
OS Grid: NS561707
Mapcode National: GBR 081.ZS
Mapcode Global: WH3NV.WRJH
Entry Name: Bearsden, Killermont House, Glasgow Golf Club
Listing Date: 14 May 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357596
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22131
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Dunbartonshire
Electoral Ward: Bearsden South
Traditional County: Dunbartonshire
Largely 1805 (see Notes). 2-storey and raised basement, 9-bay, L-plan Classical mansion (now golf club house) with advanced central pedimented section and 2-storey, 6-bay wing to E. Ashlar; rubble to rear. Base course, band course above basement, cill courses, eaves course, dentilled cornice. Raised margins. Windows at ground with floating cornices; pedimented to outer bays. Later 2-storey stone extension to re-entrant angle to rear (N).
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Central flight of steps oversailing basement leads to Ionic tetrastyle portico; 2-leaf panelled exterior entrance doors with fanlight above and sidelights: part-glazed 2-leaf interior entrance doors. Dentilled pediment.
INTERIOR: (seen, 2013). Public rooms with decorative cornicing. Dog-leg stair with decorative metal balusters and timber handrail. Architraved, panelled timber doors; some decorative fire surrounds. Upper floor to S converted to open-plan locker area.
Predominantly non-timber replacement plate glass sash and case windows. Piended roof; grey slates. Wallhead stacks.
This is a good example of a predominantly early 19th century Classical mansion house, which retains much of its exterior form and with some good interior detailing. The house has refined classical detailing and sits in a prominent position overlooking its golf course. The house has been modified internally to accommodate the golf club but the original public rooms remain largely extant.
The Colquhoun family bought Killermont Estate in 1746. It is not clear what the house looked like at this time, but McGhee suggests that it was U-plan in form with the main elevation looking north. When Archibald Campbell-Colquoun inherited the property in 1804, he added the current classical main section to the south. This now forms the majority of the building, although it is possible that some earlier fabric remains. Major work was carried out to the property in the 1930s, when the earlier west wing was demolished, the former attic dormers in the main section removed and the roof replaced. The wing to the east was also reconstructed.
Glasgow Golf Club was founded in 1787 and the initial 22 players played on Glasgow Green. The club moved at various times over the 19th century and by the beginning of the 20th century, the members were looking for a permanent home. After negotiations, they took out a lease on the 100-acre parkland estate and mansion house of Killermont in Bearsden. The course was designed by Old Tom Morris and was opened in 1904. In 1922 the club secured the house and ground permanently and the course was modernised by James Braid.
Tom Morris (1821-1908) was born in St Andrews and was world famous as a championship golfer, golf club manufacturer, course designer and pioneer for the game. James Braid (1870-1950) was born in Fife. Five times Open Championship winner, he was a renowned course architect, designing over 300 courses.
Scotland is intrinsically linked with the sport of golf and it was the birthplace of the modern game.
List description updated as part of the sporting buildings thematic study (2012-13).
Other nearby listed buildings