This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.928 / 55°55'40"N
Longitude: -4.2352 / 4°14'6"W
OS Eastings: 260443
OS Northings: 672809
OS Grid: NS604728
Mapcode National: GBR 10.ZGJ5
Mapcode Global: WH3NW.X8DB
Plus Code: 9C7QWQH7+6W
Entry Name: Ice-House, Cawder Park, Bishopbriggs
Listing Name: Cawder Estate, Cawder House, Icehouse
Listing Date: 29 May 1979
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357825
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22274
Building Class: Cultural
County: East Dunbartonshire
Electoral Ward: Bishopbriggs North and Campsie
Traditional County: Lanarkshire
David Hamilton, Early 19th century. N-facing, Neo-classical icehouse, mounded earth to sides and rear. Large, droved ashlar blocks with fully brick lined interior. Moulded plain pediment; segmental arch recessed to centre with segmental arch doorway inset.
INTERIOR: Brick lined chamber.
A-group listing, also including Cawder House, Cawder Stables, Cawder Dovecot, Cawder Bridge, Cawder Gatelodge and the lodge at 2 Cadder Road, Bishopbriggs. Cawder Icehouse was built as part of the improvements and expansion of Cawder House and Estate (see separate listings) by David Hamilton. The icehouse is found to the NE of Cawder House, on the S bank of the River Kelvin. The river was redirected as part of the landscaping work that was carried out around this time, forming an ox-bow lake in the gardens and the Icehouse sits at the junction where the ox-bow would have returned to the original river course. This ox-bow is now used as a hazard on the golf course. The architect of the Icehouse, David Hamilton, was one of Scotland's most prolific and popular architects of the time, his major works including the Royal Exchange in Glasgow (1827-1832), Hamilton Palace (now demolished) and Hutcheson's Hospital (1802-1805). Charles Stirling (owner and benefactor of Cawder House) was an enthusiastic patron of his work, and prior to taking ownership of Cawder, Stirling had commissioned Hamilton to build his previous mansion, Kenmure House (now demolished, on the site of Bishopbriggs Golf Club to the SW of Cawder). Hamilton then executed the Cawder Estate improvements between 1813 and 1815, before returning to Cadder again in 1825 to build Cadder Parish Church. The mixed usage of the name Cawder and Cadder to describe the house, village and estate can be a source of some confusion. In the ancient maps of Richardson and Forrest, the parish is marked as 'Cadder' (the parish being one of the original 365 designated parishes), whilst the House and estate are marked as 'Calder'. The use of 'Calder' has since disappeared, and until the early 20th century the estate, village and parish were all refered to as Cadder. The use of the name Cawder was adopted by the golf club and this has since become the most common name for the House and its related estate, whilst the village and parish have continued to be called Cadder. These changes in name and spelling have been put down to gradual changes in dialect and pronunciation through time.
Cawder Icehouse lies within the amenity zone for the Antonine Wall recommended in D N Skinner The Countryside of the Antonine Wall (1973), and which will form the basis of the buffer zone, yet to be defined, for the proposed Antonine Wall World Heritage Site.
Other nearby listed buildings