This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.5929 / 56°35'34"N
Longitude: -3.3423 / 3°20'32"W
OS Eastings: 317667
OS Northings: 745360
OS Grid: NO176453
Mapcode National: GBR V8.TMHR
Mapcode Global: WH6PF.MKM5
Plus Code: 9C8RHMV5+53
Entry Name: Old Bank House, Brown Street, Blairgowrie
Listing Name: Brown Street, Old Bank House Including Ancillary Buildings, Gatepiers, Boundary Walls and Railings
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357855
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22304
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Blairgowrie and Rattray
County: Perth and Kinross
Town: Blairgowrie And Rattray
Electoral Ward: Blairgowrie and Glens
Traditional County: Perthshire
1837. 3-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan classical former Commercial Bank building terminating Bank Street, with Greek Doric doorpiece and urn-finialled balustrade. Ashlar with architraved windows to principal elevation; snecked rubble with some Aberdeen bond and ashlar margins to sides and rear; ashlar quoins. Base course, moulded cill courses and eaves cornice. Stone mullions.
SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: centre bay at ground with Greek Doric doorpiece, deep-set part-glazed timber door and margined small pane fanlight, windows in flanking bays with scroll-consoled canopies; regular fenestration to each floor above with stone- balustraded balconettes to 1st floor; balustraded parapet with 4 urn finials, small segmental-headed dormer window to outer left and wide rooflight off-centre left.
SW ELEVATION: panelled timber door with margined small-pane fanlight and flanking narrow lights to centre bay at ground, tiny light off-centre left at 1st floor and single window to centre at 2nd floor.
NW (REAR) ELEVATION: variety of elements to rear elevation including 5-light rectangular-plan oriel window with cornice and blocking course to left at 1st floor, regular fenestration to 2nd floor and shouldered wallhead stack to right.
Plate glass glazing in timber sash and case windows. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with full-complement of polygonal cans; overhanging eaves with plain bargeboarding; cast-iron downpipes with decorative rainwater hoppers and fixings.
INTERIOR: decorative plasterwork; timber fireplaces, brass door furniture. Hall with tiled floor.
ANCILLARY BUILDINGS: slated, piend-roofed, rubble ancillary buildings with boarded timber doors and timber sash and case windows. Swept-roof (now felted), timber garden room with 2-leaf centre door with margined lights and flanking transomed tripartites.
BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND RAILINGS: low saddleback-coped boundary walls with inset decorative ironwork railings; square-section ashlar gatepiers with ironwork lamp brackets; semicircular-coped rubble boundary walls.
Group with Nos 21, 26 and 28. The Commercial Bank moved from these premises to The Wellmeadow in 1851.
Other nearby listed buildings