This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.5927 / 56°35'33"N
Longitude: -3.342 / 3°20'31"W
OS Eastings: 317684
OS Northings: 745340
OS Grid: NO176453
Mapcode National: GBR V8.TMJX
Mapcode Global: WH6PF.MKR9
Plus Code: 9C8RHMV5+35
Entry Name: 28 Brown Street, Blairgowrie
Listing Name: 28 Brown Street
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357856
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22305
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Blairgowrie and Rattray
County: Perth and Kinross
Town: Blairgowrie And Rattray
Electoral Ward: Blairgowrie and Glens
Traditional County: Perthshire
Circa 1830, possibly with mid to later 19th century addition to rear. 2-storey, 3-bay house with fine banking hall (later). Coursed, squared rubble with stone cills, rubble to sides and rear. Base and eaves courses.
NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. Centre bay at ground with moulded doorway, panelled timber door and plate glass fanlight, windows in flanking bays and regular fenestration to 1st floor; 2 modern rooflights above.
SW (REAR) ELEVATION: full-width lower piend-roofed extension/wing? with modern glazed door to left and further harled piend-roofed projection (former ancillary) at right.
SE AND NW ELEVATIONS: blank gabled elevations with garages abutting at ground.
Out-of-character PVCu glazing. Grey slates. Coped ashlar stacks with thackstanes and some cans; ashlar-coped skews with block skewputts.
INTERIOR: rare retention of largely intact banking hall (see Notes) with decorative plasterwork cornices and centre rose; vertically-panelled walls with fine carved wood-effect Lincrusta dado depicting variety of insects, birds and flowers; stencilled panels to doors and soffits. Timber fire surround (not original) with flanking wall cupboards, that to left lined with shelves and pigeon holes, that to right with strong room. Decorative cast-iron inlet vent to air conditioning system and push-buttons for communication system.
Group with Nos 21, 26 and Old Bank House. The surprisingly fine banking hall attached to such a modest house is thought to be the precursor of the nearby 'Old Bank House', built for the Commercial Bank in 1837. If this is correct, the above-detailed interior has been altered as stylistically the Lincrusta dado belongs to the latter part of the 19th century. In 1834 the house was built by Thomas Robertson, merchant and bank agent of Blairgowrie, on ground belonging to John Brown (hence the name of the street). The banking business was removed to the nearby 'Old Bank House' in 1837. The current owner (2002) has ledgers relating to banking (found in the safe) dating from 1842. During WWII the house was used by the Polish army.
Other nearby listed buildings