History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

St Stephen's Primary School, Newton Terrace, Bairgowrie

A Category B Listed Building in Blairgowrie and Rattray, Blairgowrie, Perth and Kinross

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.5924 / 56°35'32"N

Longitude: -3.3449 / 3°20'41"W

OS Eastings: 317505

OS Northings: 745303

OS Grid: NO175453

Mapcode National: GBR V8.TLX0

Mapcode Global: WH6PF.LKDL

Plus Code: 9C8RHMR4+W2

Entry Name: St Stephen's Primary School, Newton Terrace, Bairgowrie

Listing Name: John Street, St Stephen's Roman Catholic Primary School Including Boundary Walls, Gatepiers and Gates

Listing Date: 5 October 1971

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 357860

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22313

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Blairgowrie and Rattray

County: Perth and Kinross

Town: Blairgowrie And Rattray

Electoral Ward: Blairgowrie and Glens

Traditional County: Perthshire

Find accommodation in
Craighall

Description

Dated 1841. Tall single storey, 8-bay, rectangular-plan, piend-roofed classical school with pedimented portico. Ashlar with some droved margins. Deep base course, eaves course.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 6 regularly-disposed principal windows with triple-arched and pedimented cross-finialled portico with dated tympanum across centre bays. Lower piended bay with 2 windows to right, and extended bay with bipartite window to left.

SW (ENTRANCE) ELEVATION: altered elevation with steps up to modern door at left, bipartite window to right and later projection at outer left.

NE ELEVATION: 3 bipartite windows.

NW (REAR) ELEVATION: symmetrically-fenestrated, altered elevation.

Principal windows margined, lying 16-pane glazing pattern, 4-, 8-pane and plate glass glazing patterns elsewhere (except to rear), all in timber sash and case windows, some double-glazed. Grey slates. Cavetto-coped brick stack with cans; ashlar-coped skews.

INTERIOR: some boarded dadoes and picture rails.

BOUNDARY WALLS, GATEPIERS AND GATES: semicircular-coped rubble boundary walls with flat-coped square-section ashlar gatepiers and 2-leaf ironwork gates.

Statement of Interest

Terminal feature of John Street. Originally the Parish School, sold to St Stephen's Roman Catholic Church (listed separately) in 1879.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.