This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.5917 / 56°35'30"N
Longitude: -3.3379 / 3°20'16"W
OS Eastings: 317936
OS Northings: 745226
OS Grid: NO179452
Mapcode National: GBR V8.TNJ5
Mapcode Global: WH6PF.PLQ1
Plus Code: 9C8RHMR6+MR
Entry Name: The Dome Cafe, 14-20 Leslie Street, Blairgowrie
Listing Name: 14 - 20 (Even Nos) Leslie Street, the Dome Restaurant
Listing Date: 24 October 1984
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357862
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22315
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Blairgowrie and Rattray
County: Perth and Kinross
Town: Blairgowrie And Rattray
Electoral Ward: Blairgowrie and Glens
Traditional County: Perthshire
Mid 19th century; dome and interior alterations by W J Brewster Grant & Henderson, Blairgowrie, 1925. 2-storey with cellar and attic, 3-bay restaurant with flatted dwellings above (rear entrance to Wellmeadow) and fine interior. Squared rubble with ashlar margins. Ground floor frieze, eaves course.
NW ELEVATION: traditional centre door shop to centre and right bays, including deep-set 2-leaf part-glazed timber door with flanking pilasters and ironwork grille and flanking fixed display windows; steps up to panelled timber door with margined fanlight immediately to left and further shop to outer left with grille over part-glazed door to right, and fixed window to left. 3 regularly-disposed windows to 1st floor and canted dormer windows over outer bays flanking piended dormer at centre.
Out-of-character modern glazing; plate glass glazing to casement window at centre dormer. Grey slates. Shared coped ashlar stacks.
INTERIOR: good decorative scheme in place including 1920's cafe interior with horseshoe counter and shelves, carved fixed bench seats, painted panelled walls with inset mirrors and decorative panels, and embossed frieze. Large domed seating area with flattened ribbed dome supported on heavy Tuscan columns, clerestorey over central area and segmental-arched 2-leaf door with decoratively-astragalled fanlights.
The rear entrance at 24 and 25 Wellmeadow is listed separately. During the 19th century, the cellar served as police cells. In 1905 the cells were sold to the Vissochi family who already ran a cafe in part of what is now (2002) Davidson's Chemist on the Wellmeadow. The Leslie Street building was being run as a hotel,
and was purchased by the Vissochi family circa 1920. During the 1920s the dome roof was added and the cafe interior fitted out with 'booth style seating and the woodwork at the counter which give the restaurant its timeless continental cafe atmosphere'.
Other nearby listed buildings