This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.5922 / 56°35'32"N
Longitude: -3.3377 / 3°20'15"W
OS Eastings: 317948
OS Northings: 745282
OS Grid: NO179452
Mapcode National: GBR V8.TNK2
Mapcode Global: WH6PF.PKTN
Entry Name: 7, 9 and 11 Allan Street, Old Brewery Building
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 357869
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22322
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Blairgowrie and Rattray
County: Perth and Kinross
Town: Blairgowrie And Rattray
Electoral Ward: Blairgowrie and Glens
Traditional County: Perthshire
Earlier to mid 19th century, with 18th century fabric. Former brewery and 3-storey with attic small tenement with shop at ground and nepus gable, in irregular terrace on ground falling to SE. Squared rubble with ashlar dressings. Ground floor cornice with deep frieze, 2nd floor cill and eaves courses.
SW (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical above ground. 6-panelled timber door with deep plate glass fanlight and flanking pilasters in bay to left of centre at ground, broad boarded timber door (see Notes) also with flanking pilasters beyond to left and in-canted centre door shop to right. Regular fenestration to 1st and 2nd floors, narrow trefoil-headed light to nepus gable at centre above.
NE (REAR) ELEVATION: variety of elements including conically-roofed circular stair tower and kiln.
4-pane glazing pattern in timber sash and case windows at 2nd floor, PVCu glazing to 1st floor, fixed plate glass glazing to nepus. Concrete tiles and modern rooflights. Coped ashlar stacks with cans, some polygonal.
Formerly listed as 'Old Brewery Building, 11 Allan Street and 11 Upper Mill Street'. Part of the brewery building has since been converted to dwellings. In 1825 'John Anderson, Allan Street' is recorded in a list of Scottish brewers, but later in the century Blairgowrie Brewery was owned by James Ogilvy. The brewery was located here due to the availability of high quality water from a nearby spring. The property at No 11 was recorded in 1900 as 'Brewery and Malt Barns'.
Other nearby listed buildings