This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.1714 / 56°10'16"N
Longitude: -3.0356 / 3°2'8"W
OS Eastings: 335797
OS Northings: 698118
OS Grid: NT357981
Mapcode National: GBR 2G.H1ZK
Mapcode Global: WH7SV.B4QS
Entry Name: Buckhaven, Church Street, St Andrew's Theatre
Listing Date: 24 November 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 358324
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22711
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Buckhaven and Methil
Town: Buckhaven And Methil
Electoral Ward: Buckhaven, Methil and Wemyss Villages
Traditional County: Fife
William Burn, 1825; central division of gable front refaced by Sir George Gilbert Scott, 1854; re-erected here 1872; extended to sides 1885; converted to theatre 1987 with further extension. Small cruciform-plan aisless church with side aisles and added SE transept, Perpendicular details. Polished and dressed ashlar; chamfered base course and string courses. Pointed-arch openings and traceried windows with hoodmoulds and label-stops; crocketted pinnacles; 3-stage saw-tooth coped battered angle buttresses; chamfered reveals and stone mullions. 2-leaf boarded timber doors.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical. 2-stage centre gable with full-height moulded panel with 3 steps up to moulded doorcase and flanking nookshafts, pilaster buttresses with trefoil-headed blind panel and 2-light blind-traceried windows in moulded frames with deeply revealed cills over moulded string course. Band of trefoil-headed blind arcading over door giving way to 5-light traceried window below elaborate ogee-shaped hoodmould with human-head label-stops. Flanking angle buttresses with gablet-coped, 2-light blind-traceried detail to 2nd stage, and cross-finialled gablet coping to 3rd stage giving way to decoratively-coped diamond-aligned rectangular pinnacles with heavy block caps. Pierced and raked parapet with raised centre triple pinnacle at apex. Slightly set-back side aisles (under continued roof slopes) each with blocked hoodmoulded window.
N ELEVATION: 2 bays to left of centre each with simple Y-traceried 2-light window and dormer head raised above eaves line, buttress to outer left and taller extension projecting to outer right.
S ELEVATION: bay to outer right with blinded window below dormerhead rising above eaves line, and buttress to outer right. Taller extension projecting to left.
W ELEVATION: incorporated into modern extension.
E and N windows with multi-pane leaded glazing. Grey slate. Ashlar-coped skews and moulded skewputts.
INTERIOR: theatre conversion retains cast-iron columns of former nave.
Ecclesiastical building no longer in use as such. Formerly St Andrew's Church, home of the Buckhaven Free Church congregation which formed in 1866. In 1870 the Episcopal Church at North Street, St Andrews was purchased for the sum of £130, it was transported to Buckhaven in Thomas Walker's boat 'The Sea King', and re-erected in 1872. In 1972 the congregation united with nearby St David's Parish Church (listed separately) and St Michael's, and the building closed until 1987 when it was converted and extended to a theatre.
Other nearby listed buildings