This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.2434 / 56°14'36"N
Longitude: -4.2175 / 4°13'2"W
OS Eastings: 262679
OS Northings: 707865
OS Grid: NN626078
Mapcode National: GBR 11.BLHL
Mapcode Global: WH4NH.5BYK
Entry Name: Bridge Street, Callander Churchyard Including Watch House
Listing Date: 6 September 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 358584
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22896
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
18th century irregularly shaped walled graveyard including a 19th century hexagonal watch house. Sited on what is believed to be the location of Callander's first church founded in 1238. Tom na Cheasaig (the Mound of St Kessog, where the 6th century saint is supposed to have preached from) is set just outwith to the NW. The graveyard is set picturesquely near the banks of the River Teith with stunning views across to Ben Ledi.
The entrance is set to the E along Bridge Street with the wall being swept to both sides of the simple opening.
The ground undulates to the churchyard being banked quite steeply to the NW. Some lying slabs might be 18th century but these are difficult to read due to deterioration, the majority of the gravestones are 19th century.
Built into the N wall is the watchhouse with 3 of its sides facing into the churchyard. The door is set to the central face with an inscription above appearing to read 'design & Constructed by Duncan McNa Joiner' and the abbreviated names of the builders 'J.Par F.Bu & D. McGre Masons'. There are blocked windows to the flanking faces. The 3 faces outwith the wall to the E are blank.
Random rubble boundary wall with copes set on end. Cast iron gates to opening. Watchhouse: coursed, weathered sandstone with a timber boarded door to centre with tripartite slim letterbox fanlight, missing glazing. Overhanging 6 sided grey slate roof with exposed rafters, currently in a poor state with the loss of some slates, 2004.
Formerly listed as Bridge Street, Graveyard. The pre-Reformation church is thought to have been demolished around the time the parish church in Ancaster Square was built in 1773. A plate to the gate reads 'Parish Council of Callander, Callander Churchyard, keys at Parish Council Office'.
Other nearby listed buildings