This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.242 / 56°14'31"N
Longitude: -4.2164 / 4°12'59"W
OS Eastings: 262737
OS Northings: 707709
OS Grid: NN627077
Mapcode National: GBR 11.BLQN
Mapcode Global: WH4NH.6CFM
Entry Name: Bridgend, Callander Primary School (Formerly Mclaren High School)
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 358589
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB22900
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Trossachs and Teith
Traditional County: Perthshire
Loch Lomond And Trossachs National Park Planning Authority
Built by Stewart & Paterson in 1906-1907; 2-storey and attic, 7-bay school with a grand W pedimented entrance bay and steeply pitched roof (the school was originally only 2-bays deep). Enlarged and partly refashioned by Stewart & Paterson in 1924 including the advanced single storey wings and entrance colonnade.
The school ceased to operate as the local High School in the 1960s becoming the local primary school. In 1992 the school was refurbished with the interior gutted and re-organised, a large single storey block was built to the rear E. Listed in recognition of its smart restrained Baroque design, being by the hand of a well respected architect's office that carried out a considerable amount of work in the vicinity.
Slightly advanced entrance bay with a row of 4 advanced Doric Roman columns arranged concavely to the ground floor. Adjoined to the colonnade are a pair of flanking single storey wings to the outerbays.
To each of the side elevations there are slightly advanced 3-bay sections to the ground and 1st floor. That to the N is arranged at the 1st floor with pilasters and block channelling surmounted by a segmentally headed gable. That to the S has a pair of brackets flanking the central 1st floor window supporting a cornice carrying a pair of small stylised obelisks with a centred date stone, a raised parapet sits behind. The date to the stone is indecipherable however below is inscribed 'Baillie Hamilton Memorial Wing'.
The rear (E) elevation has what looks like to be a central canted stair tower, set adjacent to this is a tall square-plan stack, tapering to its upper part and rising above the eaves. There are various dormer windows set to the rear of the roof.
Snecked rubble 'pudding stone' to principal elevation, random rubble with smeared pointing to others. Sandstone dressings and quoins throughout. Raised architraves to windows of principal elevation at ground and 1st floor, lugged detailing to 1st floor. Moulded heavy cornice to entire advanced ground floor. Continuous cill course to 1st floor of principal elevation. Timber panelled main door, modern multi-paned timber windows throughout. Moulded eaves course. Grey slated piended roofs.
The school was formerly named after Donald McLaren, who, on his death, gifted a considerable sum of money to be set up as a trust and used specifically for educational purposes. The trust became known as the 'McLaren Educational Trust'. The Free Church School, which McLaren had been a keen supporter of (see Callander Community Hall Listing) was closed in 1890. In January 1892 the McLaren Education Trust informed the School Board that they would soon be in a position to offer higher education. The Mclaren High School initially rented temporary accommodation in the Main Street. However a permanent site for the school was soon sought with the location where the present school stands being chosen. To the S of the main school building there is a 4-bay single storey hall which in now linked by a covered walkway to the rear extension. Further S there is a 20th century single storey 3-bay pavilion with a veranda facing E.
Other nearby listed buildings