History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Culross, Little Causeway, Ark B

A Category B Listed Building in Culross, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0555 / 56°3'19"N

Longitude: -3.6283 / 3°37'41"W

OS Eastings: 298690

OS Northings: 685933

OS Grid: NS986859

Mapcode National: GBR 1R.QDTS

Mapcode Global: WH5QW.72G3

Entry Name: Culross, Little Causeway, Ark B

Listing Date: 12 January 1972

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 359859

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24011

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Culross

County: Fife

Town: Culross

Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Culross

Description

Dated 1609. 2-storey house. Harled walls; stone surrounds; cill course.

NE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: door to right; moulded surrounds. Small window to left; larger window to far left (former door). Small window above right of door. 2 small 1st floor windows; moulded cill course below continues to right arris to eaves. 1st floor right window lintel initialled 'AG IC' over the date '1609'.

SE ELEVATION: attached to The Nunnery.

SW ELEVATION: partially seen, 2001. Ground floor opening; 3 inserted catslide dormer 1st floor windows.

NW ELEVATION: mostly obscured by the parallel The Ark. Windows to ground floor; catslide dormer windows at 1st floor.

Varied glazing; 12-pane timber sash and case ground floor window. 1st floor windows, 3 paned upper sash, 6 paned lower sash timber sash and case windows. Timber door. Pitched roof; clay pantiles. NW gable end stack; ridge stack.

INTERIOR: not seen, 2001.

Statement of Interest

Typical harled, crowstepped Culross house with distinctive cill course, dated lintel and gable facing the road. For brief history of Culross Burgh see Culross, The Cross, The Study. 1950's drawings (stored at the NMRS) by Ian G Lindsay and Partners for the NTS show the plans for converting The Ark, Ark B and the Nunnery into one house. There are further plans dated 1960, for the rehabilitation of the 3 buildings as 3 separate dwellings. For brief history of Culross Burgh see Culross, The Cross, The Study.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.