History in Structure

St Kentigern's House, Low Causeway, Culross

A Category B Listed Building in Culross, Fife

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.0559 / 56°3'21"N

Longitude: -3.626 / 3°37'33"W

OS Eastings: 298839

OS Northings: 685970

OS Grid: NS988859

Mapcode National: GBR 1R.QFCD

Mapcode Global: WH5QW.81LT

Plus Code: 9C8R394F+8J

Entry Name: St Kentigern's House, Low Causeway, Culross

Listing Name: Culross, Low Causeway, St Kentigern's

Listing Date: 19 July 1973

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 359870

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24022

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200359870

Location: Culross

County: Fife

Town: Culross

Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages

Traditional County: Fife

Tagged with: Manse

Find accommodation in


1820. 2-storey, 3-bay villa with incised Greek details. Classical, ashlar principal elevation. Base, cill and band course. Giant Order angle pilasters. Corniced principal elevation; plain frieze, raised at ends and centre. Tooled sandstone to other elevations; rendered 1st floor rear elevation; ashlar margins and eaves course; droved quoins.

S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: symmetrical elevation. Central door; fanlight with circular panes. Consoled, corniced, moulded doorpiece. Flanking ground floor windows. 3 1st floor windows centred above. Incised Greek detailing to top of pilasters.

W ELEVATION: partially seen; modern lean-to conservatory to left. 2 1st floor windows to left.

N ELEVATION: tall coped wall extends from left of house; 2 doors. Rear extension; 3 ground floor windows. Modern 2nd storey addition; 3 windows to N; 1 window in each return. Modern lean-to porch to left of rear addition; door and window to E. Tall coped wall extends from right of house; lean-to to left; 2 doors; door in wall set back to right; another lean-to to right.

E ELEVATION: ground floor window to left; 1st floor window to left; stained glass. 1st floor window to right. Modern, flat-roofed garage obscures rest of elevation.

Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. Timber panelled door. Piended slate roof, platform on top; piended slate roof to later rear addition. Slated lean-to roofs. Corniced stacks to centre E and W; circular cans. Coped stack to NE.

INTERIOR: partially seen; Minton tiles to vestibule; anthemion frieze with guilloche cornice above to vestibule.

Statement of Interest

Purchased by the Free Church (now Cunninghame House) in 1873 for use as a manse and later known as Sanctuary. According to Cunningham, the title deeds state that 'the privilege of sanctuary belongs to this house' as it stood in the abbey ground. This house is named after St Kentigern/Mungo, who according to legend, was born in Culross and was educated by St Serf. Unusual inscribed Greek detail after the manner of Thomas Hamilton. The building is now a private house (2001).

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.