This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 56.0558 / 56°3'20"N
Longitude: -3.6284 / 3°37'42"W
OS Eastings: 298686
OS Northings: 685965
OS Grid: NS986859
Mapcode National: GBR 1R.QDTP
Mapcode Global: WH5QW.71FW
Plus Code: 9C8R394C+8J
Entry Name: The Greek House, 2 Tanhouse Brae, Culross
Listing Name: Culross, 2 Tanhouse Brae
Listing Date: 12 January 1972
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 359895
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24046
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages
Traditional County: Fife
17th century. 2-storey, 4-bay house; advanced right bay. Pink harl; exposed stone surrounds. Greek inscription above blocked door.
S (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: off centre door; flanking windows. Semi-octagonal advanced bay to far right; roll-moulded doorway (now window); Greek inscription in lintel translates; 'God provides and will provide'. 2 1st floor windows to left section; single 1st floor window in advanced bay. National Trust for Scotland (NTS) plaque below left.
W ELEVATION: attached to The Study.
N ELEVATION: partially seen, 2001. Ground floor window to right; 1st floor window above. Lean-to to left.
E ELEVATION: attached to 3 Tanhouse Brae.
Predominantly 12-pane timber sash and case windows. 16-pane window in former door. Round-headed sash and case window to right of entrance door. Timber studded door; tirling pin. Pitched roof; clay pantiles. Gable apex stack to W; rear wallhead stack.
INTERIOR: not seen, 2001.
Of note is the advanced section, which may have been a stairwell and the Greek inscription in the former door lintel. There was formerly a fluted, pilastered doorpiece dated 1671, similar to one at The Study. For brief history of Culross Burgh see Culross, The Cross, The Study.
Other nearby listed buildings