History in Structure

The Tanner's House, 4 Tanhouse Brae, Culross

A Category B Listed Building in Culross, Fife

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »


Latitude: 56.0559 / 56°3'21"N

Longitude: -3.6281 / 3°37'41"W

OS Eastings: 298705

OS Northings: 685976

OS Grid: NS987859

Mapcode National: GBR 1R.QDVR

Mapcode Global: WH5QW.71LT

Plus Code: 9C8R394C+9Q

Entry Name: The Tanner's House, 4 Tanhouse Brae, Culross

Listing Name: Culross, 3 Tanhouse Brae

Listing Date: 12 January 1972

Category: B

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 359897

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB24047

Building Class: Cultural

ID on this website: 200359897

Location: Culross

County: Fife

Town: Culross

Electoral Ward: West Fife and Coastal Villages

Traditional County: Fife

Tagged with: House

Find accommodation in


17th-18th century. 1952 refurbishment, W Schomburg Scott. 2-storey, 3-bay house; forestair. Harled; base course; exposed stone surrounds to windows and doors.

SE (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: central ground floor door below forestair; 1st floor entrance door centred above. Single flanking ground and 1st floor windows. Forestair from right; chamfered forestair stone support; partially renewed. Forestair partially covers right ground floor window. National Trust for Scotland (NTS) plaque to right of door.

SW ELEVATION: attached to 2 Tanhouse Brae.

NW ELEVATION: 1st floor window to right. Rear wing to left; window and door in right return; window in rear gable wall.

NE ELEVATION: attached to 4 Tanhouse Brae.

12-pane timber sash and case windows. Timber boarded 2-leaf doors. Pitched roof; clay pantiles; crowsteps to NE. Apex stack to NE. Pitched rear wing; clay pantiles; coped gable apex stack.

INTERIOR: partially seen; 2001. Flagstone floor to central ground floor store room.

Statement of Interest

A typical example of one of Culross burgh's little houses with central forestair and 2-leaf doors. The ground floor was probably used as cellarage or workshop with rear door directly opposite the entrance door. 1952 plans by W Schomburg Scott for the renovation of this property are stored at the NMRS. For brief history of Culross Burgh see Culross, The Cross, The Study.

External Links

External links are from the relevant listing authority and, where applicable, Wikidata. Wikidata IDs may be related buildings as well as this specific building. If you want to add or update a link, you will need to do so by editing the Wikidata entry.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.