History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Dunfermline Abbey, Gatehouse

A Category A Listed Building in Dunfermline, Fife

More Photos »
Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 56.0694 / 56°4'9"N

Longitude: -3.4643 / 3°27'51"W

OS Eastings: 308940

OS Northings: 687254

OS Grid: NT089872

Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PMNZ

Mapcode Global: WH5QR.RPKZ

Entry Name: Dunfermline Abbey, Gatehouse

Listing Date: 12 January 1971

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 362435

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB25963

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Dunfermline

County: Fife

Town: Dunfermline

Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central

Traditional County: Fife

Find accommodation in
Dunfermline

Description

Circa 1500 (probably rebuilding of earlier structure); alterations to form museum, 1896-97; minor alterations R S Lorimer, 1909. 3-storey; butterfly-plan; Gothic gatehouse situated at an angle at SW corner of frater range adjoining kitchen. Rib-vaulted pend at ground floor level. Intact vaulted rooms to 1st and 2nd floors. Coursed dressed sandstone with ashlar dressings. Remains of corbelling at top of E and W elevations, possibly originally surmounted by bartizan.

W ELEVATION: large Gothic entrance with moulded arch to pend to right of ground floor. Pedestrian moulded-arched entrance (heightened by R S Lorimer 1909) set back at an angle to left. Small 1st floor window above main entrance; segmental-headed window with splayed moulded surround to 2nd floor. Segmental-headed window (formerly entrance with forestair) set back at an angle over pedestrian entrance; arrowslit above to left.

E ELEVATION: large moulded segmental arch to ground floor adjoining westernmost buttress of S side of frater range to right. Gothic-arched window with hoodmould above. Segmental-headed window with splayed moulded surround to 2nd floor.

N ELEVATION: adjoins SW corner of frater range. Arched opening above ground level of vaulted passageway leads into 1st floor of frater range. Entrance to 1st floor lobby of gatehouse at S corner of end of frater; studded timber door; timber lintel inscribed 'MUSEUM'. Later window above to left.

S ELEVATION: adjoins remains of kitchen building. Arched former entrance to right of 1st floor; early 20th century inserted entrance with stone lintel to left; studded timber door set back to inner face of wall; early 20th century passageway with parapet projects forward over remaining kitchen wall. Basket-arched window to 2nd floor formerly entrance to kitchen block.

Leaded fixed pane windows, mainly early 20th century. Roof not visible.

INTERIOR: quadripartite rib-vault with horizontal ridge ribs and central rose boss to W side of ground floor pend; ribbed barrel vaults to E side and at entrance to frater range. Lobby to NE side of 1st floor; large Gothic relieving arch to E opens onto entrance to 1st floor of frater. Late 19th century timber staircase leads up to 2nd floor. Inserted entrance into W chamber; late 19th century part-glazed timber door. Stone steps down to E chamber to S. Ribbed barrel vaults to W chamber; remains of fireplace to S wall. Stellar vault with horizontal ridge ribs and central rose boss to E chamber; this opens into short ribbed barrel vaulted passageway which adjoins hanging passageway to S of frater. Basket-arched entrance to 2nd floor chamber at top of late 19th century timber staircase; late 19th century timber door with stained glass panel set within chamber. Entrance formerly accessed only partially remaining turnpike staircase leading up to bartizan from upper chamber. Double quadripartite rib-vault with horizontal ridge ribs and central bosses carved with faces to upper chamber; remains of hooded fireplace to N side; lamp bracket to right supported on grotesque head. Cupboard niches to S and W walls with late 19th century glazed timber doors.

Statement of Interest

Property in care. A-Group with Dunfermline Abbey, New Abbey Parish Church, Nave, Remains of Dorter and Reredorter, Frater Range and Palace, Kitchen and Entrance Gateways and Boundary Wall (see separate list descriptions). A Benedictine priory was established in Dunfermline in around 1070 by Queen Margaret, wife of Malcolm III. It was upgraded to an abbey by her son, David I in 1128. In 1304 the monastery buildings were partly destroyed by Edward I during the Wars of Independence and rebuilt thereafter. It was converted for use as a museum by Andrew Carnegie in 1896-97.

Scheduled Ancient Monument.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.