This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.0721 / 56°4'19"N
Longitude: -3.4612 / 3°27'40"W
OS Eastings: 309134
OS Northings: 687553
OS Grid: NT091875
Mapcode National: GBR 1Y.PGC7
Mapcode Global: WH5QR.SMZW
Entry Name: 42-44 (Even Nos) Queen Anne Street, Head Post Office, Including Former Stable Yard and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 29 February 1988
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 362507
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26034
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunfermline Central
Traditional County: Fife
W W Robertson (of Her Majesty's Office of Works), 1889-90; extended to N 1902, also by Robertson. 2-storey; 5-bay; rectangular-plan section orientated N/S along Pilmuir Street; single storey, 6-bay, rectangular-plan section extending to W fronting onto Queen Anne St; single storey U-shaped stable block built around courtyard added to N as part of extensions. Scottish Renaissance post office with crowstepped gables to 2-storey section and pedimented windows; angled bay at corner of Pilmuir Street and Queen Anne Street. Coursed stugged snecked sandstone with polished sandstone ashlar dressings; brick stable buildings with sandstone ashlar dressings. Base course; pair of moulded band courses; one above ground floor windows; one at cill level above; to street (E and S) elevations of 2-storey block; base course, moulded band course across window lintels to street (S) elevation of single storey section; cornice to parapet above. Architraved windows with chamfered reveals to street elevations of 2-storey block; mainly with chamfered mullions and transoms; those to 1st floor pedimented. Aediculed windows to Queen Anne Street elevation of single storey section; flattened flanking brackets to pediment and bracketed projecting cills. Coped gables.
E (PILMUIR STREET) ELEVATION: entrance to angled bay to outer left. Flanking pilasters (stars and flowers to capitals) on pedestals support plain entablature surmounted by open-topped pediment with urn on pedestal (dated 1889) at centre; 2-leaf boarded timber door with border-glazed rectangular fanlight. Heraldic panel above inscribed 'Dieu et Mon Droit'. Balustraded parapet to eaves. 4-light mullion and transom window to each floor to right; both linked by 3 flattened brackets to cornice above; upper one with pilastered and panelled apron and breaking-eaves pediment ornamented with strapwork and with moulded (Jacobean style?) finial; balustraded parapet to either side. 2 slightly projecting bays surmounted by crowstepped gable with blind panel at apex to right. 4-light mullion and transom window to left of ground floor linked by 3 flattened brackets to cornice above and with bracketed cill; 2-light transom window to right. Pair of 2-light transom windows above; both with cornices with flattened flanking brackets and segmental pediments scrolled at centre. Slightly projecting bay to outer right surmounted by crowstepped gable with urn-like finial and with blind arrowslit at apex. 6-light mullion and transom window to each floor; both linked by 4 flattened brackets to cornice above; upper one with pilastered and panelled apron and double pediment; lower pediment scrolled with open top and broken base (sunflower panel at centre); upper pediment bracketed and with floral decoration. Entrance to former stable yard to right. Coped coursed stugged snecked sandstone wall to right with blocked entrance and window; both with pediments taken from earlier school building formerly on site; that to left inscribed 'SEP.DOCE.ET.CASTIGA.UT.VIVAT.PUER.'. 3 carved panels, also from school, in between; one bearing Burgh coat of arms; the others inscribed 'FAVE.MIHI.MI.DEUS.1625.' and'RECONDITUM.1816.D.WILSON.PREFECTO'.
S (QUEEN ANNE STREET) ELEVATION: entrance with deep ashlar surround with outer architrave to entrance to outer left of single storey section; earlier to mid 20th century 2-leaf panelled timber door set back within small vestibule; rectangular fanlight to vestibule. Aediculed window to 5 bays to right. Slightly projecting 2-storey bay to right; crowstepped gable with arrowslit at apex and urn finial. 6-light mullion and transom window to each floor; both linked by 4 flattened brackets to cornice above; upper one with pilastered and panelled apron and double pediment; lower pediment scrolled with open top and broken base (sunflower panel at centre); upper pediment bracketed and with floral decoration. Angled bay (see E Elevation) to right.
W ELEVATION: irregular fenestration to right, including to 3 gable ends (that to left part of extensions) to single-storey section to outer right. Blank coped wall to left.
N ELEVATION: blank coped wall.
STABLE YARD: N elevation of 2-storey block to S. U-shaped stable range adjoins to right. Irregular fenestration with entrances to N, S and W.
INTERIOR: ground floor of post office completely modernised.
Mainly timber top-hung casements and 8-pane sash and case windows. Grey slate roofs. Gablehead stacks to E and W of 2-storey section and one to W of single storey section; shouldered wallhead stack to N of 2-storey section; all with band courses and moulded cornices; cans missing.
A well-constructed and finely-detailed building. Some notable. Some notable inscribed stones from the grammar school of 1625 that formerly stood on the site have been incorporated in the boundary wall.
Other nearby listed buildings