This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1887 / 56°11'19"N
Longitude: -3.962 / 3°57'43"W
OS Eastings: 278336
OS Northings: 701297
OS Grid: NN783012
Mapcode National: GBR 1B.G3WV
Mapcode Global: WH4NT.3QM1
Plus Code: 9C8R52QQ+F6
Entry Name: Balhaldie House, High Street, Dunblane
Listing Name: High Street, Balhaldie House Including Gatepiers and Boundary Wall
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363010
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26387
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunblane and Bridge of Allan
Traditional County: Perthshire
Late 17th century with early 19th century additions and alterations. 2-storey, 6-bay, rectangular-plan, gabled house. Random rubble red sandstone with yellow ashlar quoins and margins to openings. Painted architraves and projecting cills to windows.
E (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: 6-bay, regular fenestration. Blocked window to ground floor of outer left bay; plain door with letterbox fanlight to 3rd bay from left; 2-storey advanced canted bay with piended roof to 4th bay from left; small window between outer right bay and bay to immediate left.
W (REAR) ELEVATION: regular fenestration, smaller windows to upper storey. 2-storey, advanced bay to outer left; cast-iron spiral staircase to right return, 1st floor door; hipped roof.
S (HIGH STREET) ELEVATION: gable end; regular fenestration to right, timber-panelled door to right, letterbox fanlight.
N (SIDE) ELEVATION: set into bank; exposed upper storey, harled gable end with small barred window to right.
12-pane, timber-framed, sash and case windows. Grey slates, lead flashing. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Broad, coped gable end and ridge stacks, coped skews to S.
INTERIOR: timber panelled doors, plain plasterwork throughout. Central full-height stair well, cast-iron balsutrade to banister. Principal drawing room to left on 1st floor; false doors for symmetry, combed ceiling. Cobbled floor to basement.
GATEPIERS AND BOUNDARY WALL: small, square-plan, chamfered piers with plinths and pyramidal caps. Stepped, high rubble wall to left of house with in-built square-headed gate, stone lintel.
Balhaldie House was the town residence of the MacGregors of Balhaldie. Through to the mid 18th century the Drummonds of Balhaldie were the most powerful family in Dunblane. The family were descendants of the Chief of the MacGregors who assumed the name Drummond when MacGregor was proscribed by Act of Parliament in the 17th century. It is believed that James Graham of Claverhouse stayed at Balhaldie when he stopped at Dunblane, to confer with the Royalist Alexander Drummond, on his march north and Bonnie Prince Charlie stayed on his way south in 1745. The Drummonds owned the estate of Cromlix to the north of Dunblane, the lands of Ramoyle, numerous properties in the town as well as the family estate of Balhaldie. The house was originally entered from Sinclair's Wynd prior to the formation of Cross Street in 1840. The 19th century addition to the east was added as an office for a local solicitor/postmaster, Mr Bain, the post having arrived along Perth Road by mail coach.
Other nearby listed buildings