This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.1887 / 56°11'19"N
Longitude: -3.9629 / 3°57'46"W
OS Eastings: 278279
OS Northings: 701295
OS Grid: NN782012
Mapcode National: GBR 1B.G3P8
Mapcode Global: WH4NT.3Q51
Plus Code: 9C8R52QP+FR
Entry Name: Free Church, 124-126 High Street, Dunblane
Listing Name: 124 and 126 High Street, Former Dunblane Free Church
Listing Date: 5 September 1989
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363051
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26428
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Dunblane and Bridge of Allan
Traditional County: Perthshire
1853-4. 2-storey, 3-bay, rectangular-plan, gabled church with prominent full-height semi-circular-arched bipartite windows. Red sandstone rubble with yellow ashlar sandstone margins. Base course meeting rising ground. Long and short quoins. Coped, shouldered gables.
S (PRINCIPAL): gabled bay to left; segmentally-arched entrance, cavetto moulded to reveals, timber panelled door; flanked by narrow windows; large moulded panel above dated 1843; tall, semicircular-arched, stone mullioned, bipartite gallery window; louvered ventilation slit to gablehead. Full-height semicircular-arched, stone mullioned and transomed, bipartite windows to centre bay and gabled bay to right, louvered ventilation slit to gablehead.
N (REAR) ELEVATION: not seen 2001.
E (SIDE) ELEVATION: blind gable end.
W (SIDE) ELEVATION: blind gable end.
Partially blocked, modern steel frame, fixed pane windows. Grey slates, lead flashing. Cast-iron rainwater goods. Truncated gable stacks.
INTERIOR: remodelled 1947; dividing floor inserted.
Decommissioned ecclesiastic building. An unusual composition consisting of a basic store or warehouse structure elaborately fenestrated to one side. Though the building is dated 1843 this refers to the formation of the body of the Dunblane Free Church not the erection of the present building in 1853. The first Free Church building was opened for worship in November, 1843 and stood behind the old Free Church School, currently the Territorial Army offices. The present church was erected in 1853 to meet the needs of a growing congregation. The congregation had initially met on the Howmilnhead, the grassy hill to the north of the Braeport. For sale at time of resurvey (November 2001). The building has been used variously as a town hall, library and school and was divided horizontally into 2 storeys to form a plumber's storehouse in 1947.
Other nearby listed buildings