History in Structure

Glasite Meeting House, 33 Barony Street, Edinburgh

A Category A Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

Glasite Meeting House, Barony Street

Uploader's Comments

A Meeting House of the Church of Christ, a small Protestant sect named the 'Glasites' after their founder, John Glas. Born in Auchtermuchty in 1695, Glas became an ordained minister in the Church of Scotland, but led a breakaway and established an independent ministry. The first Glasite Meeting Houses were in Dundee (1732), Perth (1733) and Edinburgh (1734). In all, 30 were established across Scotland. The first in Edinburgh was in Chambers Street, but that building, which no longer exists, was replaced by this building in 1835 at a cost of £1,850. Worship ended in 1989 after the once 200-strong congregation had dwindled to six and the last housekeeper expressed her wish to retire. The building was handed over to the Cockburn Conservation Trust and is now used as the headquarters of the Architectural Heritage Society of Scotland. It is owned by the Glasite Meeting House Trust who provided this information.

Uploaded by kim.traynor on 4 October 2011

Photo ID: 26422
Building ID: 200363888
Report this photo

Photo Navigator

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.