This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 55.8845 / 55°53'4"N
Longitude: -3.3382 / 3°20'17"W
OS Eastings: 316386
OS Northings: 666516
OS Grid: NT163665
Mapcode National: GBR 504D.2D
Mapcode Global: WH6SX.PCK6
Plus Code: 9C7RVMM6+RP
Entry Name: St Mungo's Episcopal Church, Ladycroft, Balerno
Listing Name: 11 Ladycroft, St Mungo's Episcopalian Church with Cottage and Boundary Wall and Gatepiers
Listing Date: 26 October 1994
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 363915
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB26991
Building Class: Cultural
Electoral Ward: Pentland Hills
Traditional County: Midlothian
R Rowand Anderson, 1869. Small, plain, rectangular-plan Gothic church with steeply pitched roof. Painted harl with painted ashlar margins to lancet windows; quoin strips.
E ELEVATION: paired lancets with round window at centre above. Spindly cast-iron cross finial at apex.
W ELEVATION: stepped buttress at centre; gabled bell-cote with curved batter crowning apex; flanking lancets at ground. Lean-to porch entrance to outer left; boarded, 2-leaf door. Unsympathetic modern flat-roofed, glass fronted timber porch and hall extension to outer right linking main church with cottage.
N ELEVATION: 4 bays divided by buttresses; 3-lancet nave with outer right porch entrance.
Leaded and stained glass lancets. Purple slate; lead flashings. Ashlar coping to skews; ashlar coping to bell-cote gable.
INTERIOR: main entrance through modern addition; white granite baptismal font to the memory of John David Hill immediately inside door. Painted brick interior; dark stained dado and scissor braced roof. East windows 1927; depicting baptism and resurrection of Christ; dove in roundel. St Mungo and Virgin and Child stained glass windows to outer right and left of N wall by John Blyth, 1957. St Margaret window at centre by William Wilson, 1959. Plain 20th century altar furniture.
COTTAGE: single storey, 3-bay, symmetrical rectangular-plan cottage connected to church at SE via modern addition. Painted harl; raised ashlar cills. Segmental headed 4-panelled door; plate glass fanlight; flanking segmental-headed windows.
4-pane sash and case windows; grey slate roof; raised ashlar skews; rendered and coped apex stacks.
BOUNDARY WALL AND GATEPIERS: slender, red sandstone pedestrian gatepiers at N end of W side. Rubble wall with triangulated coping encloses church ground and that of cottage.
The building is an ecclesiastical building in use as such. The church was designed by Anderson at the same time as his building of St Patrick's Roman Catholic school in Edinburgh. Anderson designed further churches for the Episcopalian community in the 1870s.
Other nearby listed buildings