History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

22 York Road, Grange House, with Boundary Wall and Gatepiers

A Category A Listed Building in Edinburgh, Edinburgh

We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?

Upload Photo »

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »

Coordinates

Latitude: 55.9779 / 55°58'40"N

Longitude: -3.2029 / 3°12'10"W

OS Eastings: 325032

OS Northings: 676752

OS Grid: NT250767

Mapcode National: GBR 8L4.QL

Mapcode Global: WH6SL.S00M

Entry Name: 22 York Road, Grange House, with Boundary Wall and Gatepiers

Listing Date: 14 December 1970

Category: A

Source: Historic Scotland

Source ID: 370729

Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB29997

Building Class: Cultural

Location: Edinburgh

County: Edinburgh

Town: Edinburgh

Electoral Ward: Forth

Traditional County: Midlothian

Find accommodation in
Granton

Description

Circa 1820. Fine austere classical Italianate 2-storey 3-bay house. Very high quality ashlar to front, coursed rubble to sides. Doric portico with entablature forming balcony above, between advanced pedimented bays. Base course.

W (PRINCIPAL) ELEVATION: timber panelled door with lying-pane glazed fanlight above behind portico in centre bay, with 4 Roman Doric columns in antis; Doric entablature with blocking course forms balcony to 1st floor; access to balcony by segmental-arched glazed door, framed by wrought-iron trellis. Arched windows to ground floor of outer bays set in round-headed recessed panels; projecting cills to upper floor windows; pediments in gable framed in timber.

N AND S (SIDE) ELEVATIONS: blind windows to 1st floor. Later brick garage with corniced stone facade to N. French doors in single storey bay to right.

Plate glass in timber sash and case windows. Graded grey slates. Coped wallhead stacks (raised) with octagonal cans.

BOUNDARY WALLS AND GATEPIERS: low stone-coped coursed rubble wall. Tall ashlar gatepiers with corniced and platformed caps.

Statement of Interest

Part of the original feuing by the lawyer Alexander Scott of the lands of Trinity Mains farm. The intended feuing is shown on Kirkwood's 1817 map.

Recommended Books

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.