This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
We don't have any photos of this building yet. Why don't you be the first to send us one?
Latitude: 56.8177 / 56°49'3"N
Longitude: -5.111 / 5°6'39"W
OS Eastings: 210219
OS Northings: 773893
OS Grid: NN102738
Mapcode National: GBR FBRP.X7T
Mapcode Global: WH1FR.GWDV
Plus Code: 9C8PRV9Q+3H
Entry Name: British Linen Bank, 4, 6, 8 Cameron Square, Fort William
Listing Name: 4, 6, 8 Cameron Square, West Highland Museum
Listing Date: 5 October 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 373104
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB31781
Building Class: Cultural
Location: Fort William
Town: Fort William
Electoral Ward: Fort William and Ardnamurchan
Traditional County: Inverness-shire
Circa 1850. 2-storey and attic, wide 4-bay east facing
building with symmetrical front. Polished ashlar facade,
rubble flanks. Aedicular Roman Doric doorpieces to outer bays
at left (SE) blocked as window; moulded architraves to all
windows, which have segmental headed pediments at ground
floor; 1st floor windows linked by cill band; pair later
canted dormers; 2-pane glazing; moulded eaves cornice;
corniced end stacks; slate roof.
Earlier 19th century 2-storey, 3-bay house at south gable
linked to main museum. Random rubble with polished ashlar
dressings. Centre entrance with pilastered and corniced
doorpiece (now blocked as window). Later entrance in former
ground floor window to right. 2-pane glazing; coped stack;
Interior: one ground floor room contains panelling and
fittings from Governor's House in Fort dating from early 18th
century. Painted panelled room, round-headed panelled mural
cupboard; original moulded stone chimney piece with moulded
wooden mantel shelf; simple corniced ceiling.
Turned wood stair balusters also from Fort and fitted to
staircase leading to 1st floor; later 19th century cast-iron
decorative balusters to attic floor.
Former British Linen Bank, established in Fort William, 1835.
Formerly had two entrances one to serve bank and the other
the Manager's, or Agent's, house.
Early 18th century room fittings from Governor's dwelling in
former Fort, rather than slightly later "Governor's House"
now sited on The Parade.
Other nearby listed buildings