This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 55.6148 / 55°36'53"N
Longitude: -2.8069 / 2°48'24"W
OS Eastings: 349271
OS Northings: 635987
OS Grid: NT492359
Mapcode National: GBR 83VJ.32
Mapcode Global: WH7WN.V4KF
Plus Code: 9C7VJ57V+W6
Entry Name: The Fountain, Cornmill Square, Galashiels
Listing Name: Cornmill Square, Fountain
Listing Date: 12 March 1971
Source: Historic Scotland
Source ID: 373377
Historic Scotland Designation Reference: LB31981
Building Class: Cultural
County: Scottish Borders
Electoral Ward: Galashiels and District
Traditional County: Selkirkshire
Robert S Lorimer, 1912-3. Town centre square with fountain formed around section of mill lade. Large raised oval enclosure with ashlar retaining wall and sweeping ashlar steps. Fountain consists of elongated figure of eight in ashlar, with parapet to the N and heavy squat balustrade to S. To N end a rusticated polygonal pillar, above which are dolphins holding aloft an ionic column with their tails. S end adorned with pair of nymphs astride dolphins. Cast iron lamps to outer enclosure.
The fountain in Cornmill Square is a prominent and important feature of the early 20th century improvement of Galashiels. The structure groups with the Burgh Hall and War Memorial and the Scott and Burns monuments to form a centre-piece for the town. The work was carried out to the designs of Robert Lorimer, probably Scotland's best-known and most successful architect of the early 20th century.
The fountain makes use of the mill lade to emphasise the importance of water-power in the development of the town. Galashiels Cornmill, which previously stood on this site, was purchased by the Town Council in 1903 and demolished. Subsequently, many of the streets in the vicinity of the fountain were widened. The fountain is located at the confluence of a culverted burn and the historic mill lade.
Other nearby listed buildings